Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Compatible Driver For Canon Pixma Mp780

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:36 AM

Hi All

I am attempting to hook up mu Canon PIXMA MP780 (Printer, Scanner, Fax) but apparently it's not compatible for Vista 32bit.

I had previously been using it with XP.

Is it possible to make it compatible - are there any specific drivers that make it compatible ??

I'm trying to scan some legal documents ASAP to send via email.

Any help greatly appreciated.

many Thanks
Nat :huh:

XP Professional FIrefox 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:19 AM

Driver seems to be available from the Canon site:

http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010139.asp

Select Vista and your language.

#3 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:47 AM

Thanks for the link Vino Rosso, which I downloaded.

However, I don't think I was specific enough: - -

I used to have a desktop running XP and I installed the canon printer from the installation disk.

However, I am now using a HP Pavillion pv2554 notebook running Vista Home Premium.

Clicking Add Printer opens up the "Install the Printer Driver" which gives you a list of manufacters and then Printers.

So I select Canon the "Canon INKJET mp780" Note that there is no listing of the Pixma MP 780 and as far as I am aware, mine is a Bubble-Jet, not an Ink-Jet Perhaps this is a big problem ????

So I continued anyway, and eventually I got the the message that it had been installed and that the software for this device had been successfully installed.

The Print Test Failed - no suprises there.

So, what I'm assuming is that how can the software driver be installed, without the actual Program being installed - The total package for the Pixma mp780 is:

Print
Fax
Copy
CDR / DVD Printing
Duplex Printing
ADF

and also Canon Utilities - Easy Photo Print

So, I have the installation Disk that won't load because it doesn't contain the compatible software driver.

Does this mean that although I already have bought the printer and software, that I am now no longer able to use it?

Confused ...
Nat

#4 Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:15 AM

I don't currently have Vista running. In XP, after selecting "Install the printer driver", there's an option "Have Disk..." Is that there in Vista?

If so, you need to select that and point it towards the Vista PIXMA MP780 driver you downloaded from the Canon web site.

#5 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:48 AM

I don't currently have Vista running. In XP, after selecting "Install the printer driver", there's an option "Have Disk..." Is that there in Vista?

If so, you need to select that and point it towards the Vista PIXMA MP780 driver you downloaded from the Canon web site.

Hi

I was using XP - but on my Desktop. Now I'm using Vista on my laptop (ready built in).

The issue is that although I do have the disk, it's only for XP, not Vista. So without the vista compatible disk, I don't see how I can install the software..??

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:07 AM

You do not need any disk to install this printer, the download handles that and has the files needed

The driver that you downloaded from canons web site is a self extracting executable. double click on the file and then it will ask for pemission to run, tell vista "yes" then the actual canon installation program will start.

pay particular attention to this area of the downloads:

5. MP Drivers (6.2)

The MP Drivers are necessary to print documents and scan images.
These drivers must be installed to use the print and scan features.

Compatibility:
Operating system(s):

Windows Vista 32bit
Language(s):

English

6. MP Drivers (6.20)

The MP Drivers are necessary to print documents and scan images.
These drivers must be installed to use the print and scan features.

Compatibility:
Operating system(s):

Windows Vista 64bit
Language(s):

English

Happy printing.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#7 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:16 PM

Hi oldf@rt

Thanks so much for your help. However, (and I feel pretty stupid) I seem to have downloaded a mixture of 32bit and 64bit, therefore uninstalled it all, because I wasn't too sure which was which!! So just to confirm, in the link, I need to download numbers 1 thru 5,

paying particular attention to 5. MP Drivers (6.2)

What is the difference between 64bit and 32bit. Actually, I should really ask "what is the 64 and 32 bit ??

I wonder if you could help me with more general stuff. I am looking for some good Vista and Firefox sites and help forums that I can post multiple, general questions that range from OS, software/hardware, internet, firefox, mail, graphics etc etc. Most of the time, I don't even know where to post my questions, and there is no way that I could submit questions in each appropiate topic. It seems to take me forever to search for a possible answer to whatever it is, and usually wind up without a clear conclusion - well, at least that i can understand and implement - !! (and I have to admit that whilst searching a forum or website, I see a topic or blog etc that interests me, and off on that tangent I go!!)

I thought about listing a selection of the topics that I need help with, but decided to wait and see if you are willing and have the time to help. If not, I totally understand.

Many thanks

Nat :huh:

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:58 PM

download # 5 first, run the download, then work on the rest.

It mainly has to do with the addressable size of ram, 32 bit is 4 gig, 64 bit is 128 gig. on a 64 bit processor, with a 64 bit operating system, the data chunks that can be moved or processed are significantly larger, which gives a slight speed increase.

check this article, if you dare.

Any time you need to ask a question feel free to in the correct forum, I am sure that you will be answered by someone who knows the answer or who can find it. Of course, if you ask something I know I will answer.

Edited by oldf@rt, 04 August 2007 - 05:04 PM.

#9 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:04 PM

Just to check, these Canon downloads are application files (.exe ??) which once downloaded need to be unzipped. I use WinZip.

Having unzipped, is there anything else that needs to be done ??

Cheers :huh:

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:16 PM

Don't use winzip. these are self extracting executables, just double click the file after you have downloaded it or click run in the finished box.

Then go to the {X}:\CANON\X86\DRVSETUP folder and double click on the Setup file with the picture of the cd.

Edited by oldf@rt, 04 August 2007 - 05:25 PM.

#11 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:01 PM

Don't use winzip. these are self extracting executables, just double click the file after you have downloaded it or click run in the finished box.

Then go to the {X}:\CANON\X86\DRVSETUP folder and double click on the Setup file with the picture of the cd.

Ok, got a problem now. I have already downloaded all 5 of them, by simply left clicking on the link (.exe) in the main page which takes me to the specific page, ie, Easy-PhotoPrint. left click again brings up the software agreement. Clicked the accept box, left clicked the
Download Software box. Once download was done, in the Downloads Page, I clicked to OPEN (only option except for Remove). This then just opens the WinZip Self Extractor, and so I clicked on Unzip.

(I'm using Firefox and it's download manager, if this makes any difference??)

In the Downloads Page, looking at all 5 downloads, the Easy-LayoutPrint B7600ENx.exe and
Canon Inkjet Printer Driver Add-On Module b7100MUx.exe .
both have the winzip icon, whilst the others don't.

What's going wrong, and why is the WinZip opening, and no other options. Previously, after downloading, I would open the file location, and then click the option to "╦xtract All Files". I must have changed some options that I don't know about.

So what must I do now? Should I do the CANON\X86\DRVSETUP option that you mentioned ?

Sorry to be such a pain !!

#12 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:14 PM

Yes double click on setup file in the subfolder.

each file that unzips should have a setup program in one of the subfolders.

{X}:\CANON\X86\DRVSETUP
\XXX\XXXsetup
\X
\X
\X

you should now have 5 folders directly underneath the canon folder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users