Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Share Your Pc Power! What?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kiran India

Kiran India

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:39 AM

Power sharing? PCs can do it too

Anand Parthasarathy

Indian engineers patent a technique to share battery power

It’s not just politicians who can work out power-sharing arrangements: Personal computers can do it too – soon. Engineers at the Bangalore development centre of the world’s largest chip maker, Intel, have developed a method which enables a laptop or handheld computer, which has run out of battery back-up, to draw power from another computer, rather than having to wait till one locates a source of mains power.

The patented technique will also work between dissimilar devices – that means a small hand-held device — a smart phone on pocket computer — can be used to temporarily power up a laptop.

The Hindu { permium indian Newspaper } has obtained a copy of the patent documentation filed by Intel with the U.S. Patent Office and on Saturday, the ‘brains’ behind the invention, Vishwa Hassan, Director of Strategy, Architecture and Innovation at In tel South Asia, Bangalore, explained the circumstances that triggered off this technique: it must be on the wish list of all connected ‘road warriors’ who have run out of battery power just when they need to use their portable PCs for some critical surfing. (Sandeep Bhatia, Mr. Hassan’s co-applicant, named in the patent application, is no longer with Intel.)

‘Some three years ago, I was working, while on a long flight from Singapore to Los Angeles, when the battery of my laptop ran down. My colleagues travelling with me, had their own laptops – but there was no way for me to borrow a battery pack because the machines were all of different makes and no two power packs could be interchanged. It set me thinking how nice it would be if one could connect a laptop which has lost its power and temporarily share power with another laptop whose batteries were still working.”

Out of that mini crisis, was born the invention that Mr. Hassan and Mr. Bhatia put together: it enables the power available in one computing device to charge the batteries of a second device.

In a second scenario, a device with a battery power source can provide power to another device without a battery.

The patent document claims that this will work between heterogeneous devices – notebook PCs, hand-held computers, games consoles, wireless devices, audio-video players…. Mr. Hassan suggests that manufacturers who exploit the invention would not have to change anything in the existing design of the computers or devices — only in the external battery or mains power units. He also foresees that the connection between ‘donor’ and ‘recipient’ machine, need not be a physical wire: with technologies such as Wireless USB connectors, just announced, the link could be wireless too.

Link => Power sharing? PCs can do it too

Edited by KoanYorel, 30 July 2007 - 09:03 AM.
to provide attribution and repair URL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:46 AM

Thats coolness...technology is advancing so quickly these days isn't it?

Thanks for the news Kiran India :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users