Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Firewall Still Functions After Uninstall

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MAJIK

MAJIK

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:06 PM

Hello, I just found this forum searching for a answer to my problem. I hope someone here can help me.

Here's my issue:

I have a newer laptop with Vista(bought it in Feb. '07). I use AVG for my virus/spyware/spam/firewall protection. I uninstalled the Norton NIS software via the add/remove programs and I thought all was well. After installing AVG I was having a conflict with the firewall, well I didn't know it was a conflict I just thought it was a software issue with grisoft. Recently I was trying to install another software that was having issues. As part of the trouble shooting they wanted me to turn off all of my firewall/anti-virus software to see if there was an issue with it not allowing the software to run properly. When I went to my control panel and checked my security settings it showed that i had 3 firewalls running(?), 2 virus protections, as well as windows defender all running at the same time.

Okay, so I turn off windows firewall, but it still shows AVG & Notron firewall running. I can turn off the AVG but there is no option to turn off Norton(I've already uninstalled the NIS). I can turn off windows defender, no problem there. Norton shows up in my malware as an option but it is turned off so I only have AVG running and protecting me there(good). Under spyware and other malware protection it shows AVG, Norton NIS, and windows defender. I can turn off windows defender but I CANNOT turn off NIS.

Next thing I do is go to Symantec support and locate their Norton Removal Tool. I save the program then run it from my desktop. It then restarts my cpu and then opens up a reinstall page in my web browser. I open up my security manager again to check the situation and the Norton stuff is still there. So I decide to try the removal tool again, same things happen. I check the status again and Norton is still there. Now I'm frustrated so I check the Symantec support site again. I find they have free chat support so I download the software to speak to someone and the install freezes my cpu :huh: . I try again after a restart hoping the restart would help and no such luck it freezes again. Well I was at work and had access to another cpu(XP) so I try that one and all is well with the chat software and I get someone. They tell me to run the "removal tool" even though I explained that I had already done that 2x before. I run it reluctantly and as soon as I was done my chat gets disconnected :huh: . So i connect throught the chat again and get someone else. They have me lookup all different kinds of stuff using things like regedit, msconfig, and such. We do this for about 15 minutes and then he tells me to restart my cpu and everything should be fine.........WE DIDN"T EVEN DO ANYTHING BUT SEARCH SOME FILES :huh: !!!!!! I tell him that and he says if the restart doesn't fix the problem then they would be more than happy to help me again................

I decide to start searching the web again for solutions and I find this guy Dave Taylor's website http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_can_i_ful..._my_system.html sorry if I'm not suppose to post weblinks. Anyways, I follow his steps and I find a few Norton/Symantec things and delete them but that doesn't resolve my issue.

Is it okay to yell HELP now!!! :huh: If you have any ideas please let me know.

Thanks,
MAJIK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:49 AM

Removing Symantec products from the registry is very difficult and trying. Recently we removed Norton 360 from a system at work by following this procedure. It's a very aggressive procedure, so there is a high chance that something could get hosed on your system when doing it.

1) Backup the entire Registry
2) Search for any registry keys containing Symantec
3) Review the key to see if it's all Symantec or contains references to other programs/files
- if it's all Symantec, remove the entire key above it in the directory structure
- if it's not, only remove that one key
4) If you get security prompts about the key, you'll have to take ownership of that key in order to modify it.
5) Do the whole thing again, but this time search for Norton (instead of Symantec)

This'll take a long, long time to do and may even crash your system if done incorrectly. The only other way to eliminate this (IMO) would be to backup all your important stuff and do a "format and reinstall" of Windows.

Edited by usasma, 30 July 2007 - 05:51 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:11 AM

Is there any chance that you have a restore point just before the NIS install? If so, then all you are looking at is a reinstall of anything since (if its not too much of a pain). Restore points are listed by date (unless you give them a name as well):

Start->Run
type "sysdm.cpl" in the textbox (quotes optional)
select "System Protection" tab.
click "System Restore" button, then "next".
see if the date/time matches the installation date/time of NIS (you might have to do this from memnory if its not in the add/remove programs list).

Restoring from a restore point is reversable (as long as you dont make the restore point in Safe Mode), if you decide against it afterwards.
It does not affect personal files; only system files, executables and the registry are affected.

Another thing to bear in mind is that as you create restore points, older ones are deleted. How many you can have at the same time is a question I cant answer for you, sorry.

Anyways, good luck!

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#4 jjthenovice

jjthenovice

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:48 PM

Do a google for "norton removal tool". This will remove all your norton products. It's by Symantec.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:27 PM

I know by the first post that you had trouble running nortons removal tool, have you tried the one from the FTP site?, if not here is the link: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_...a/removal_tools
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:36 AM

Norton products don't leave computers gracefully. But that's the nature of most security software. Once you run the removal tool, double check to make sure ALL of the software was removed.

3939.png

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:54 AM

Norton will leave stuff on your system - even with the use of the Norton Removal Tool. Removing it is a real PITA, and very chancy also (because it involves registry editing that could hose your system).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users