Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

America: Freedom To Fascism

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:16 PM

Check it:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1...h&plindex=0

56k WARNING:
This video is 1 hr & 51 min long.

EDIT: This should probably be moved to "The Speak Easy" forums.

Edited by MadDawg, 29 July 2007 - 08:19 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:50 PM

Could you give us an idea of what the video is about, please ... sort of a 'Reader's Digest' version?
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:43 PM

I've seen bits and pieces and the ending of it (after 1:26:00) and most of the beginning. It starts off bashing the American Income tax system. Saying the 16th Ammendment didn't impose any any taxes, because Congress already had the capability to tax income of Americans.

Pretty much after that then they go into attacking NAFTA, CAFTA, World Banks, the European Union, and other United "corporations" that control the world.

Basically it's by a young version of Alex Jones.

Personally I slightly agree with most of what is said, about taxes. One point that stuck with me was,

if there was no income taxes up until 1913, then how did the government financially support itself from 1776 to 1913?

We pay taxes on several things and yet they just want more and more. Like one point in the movie was made: You give the governrment some money each year and then give them a paper saying what you made. If you lie on the paper you can go to jail. In return the government has the responsibility to tell you how it spends your tax money. But they don't. Only rough big estimates about a few things.

There is a few funny clips in the movie though, like old TV shows from the 50s making fun of our tax system.

Lady: If our taxes pay for the salary of the people in congress, governors, etc... then can we claim them as Dependants and get a deductible?

Idk.. it's an ok movie, but it's taking George Orwell a little too far. I'm sure anyone in power has all these thoughts in the back of their minds, but do you really think they are all out to get you? Do you really think that the person you elect is pushing for a world government. If USA wanted a world government we would be the only in control of the UN, and it would be more powerful and not a joke, like it is today.

#4 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:04 AM

I stand corrected if I'm wrong,'Yano' but I read that America had personal income tax as far back as the Civil War. Long before 1913.

#5 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:26 AM

Don't know about the States, but before national income tax hit here in Canada, each town pretty much looked after itself.

For instance, the people living in a town all got together and built and school and shared the costs of a teacher. (The wages sucked as from the records I've read, part of their 'wages' was 'free room and board' in someone's home - usually moving between homes every couple months). And churches were built the same way.

The shop owners were responsible for building the board side-walks and if the town wanted board 'streets', everyone chipped in and it simply got done. The people usually chipped in to pay the poor soul that was responsible for scooping the poop (big time poop as we're talking horses here - eep!).

There was no welfare. If a disaster struck one family, other families simply helped.

May seem likea far cry from what we have today - but in some ways, it also looks appealing in retrospect. Children could run free and be safe (there were no 'oh dear, the attacker must have been mistreated as a child' type sympathy) and I dare say while things may have been much harder in certain ways, in others I can't help but think they were better off.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:44 AM

I stand corrected if I'm wrong,'Yano' but I read that America had personal income tax as far back as the Civil War. Long before 1913.

Arguably, you may both be right - Wikipedia Article - "Income Tax - United States".

In any case, a government must get some income to cover the expenses. If we want certain social services we are going to have to finance them somehow. I'd prefer not to have an Income Tax, but I'm not sure I wouldn't be paying just as much each year through other methods if we didn't have one.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#7 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:39 AM

fascism (fāsh'ĭz'əm)
n.

1. often Fascism
1. A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.
2. A political philosophy or movement based on or advocating such a system of government.
2. Oppressive, dictatorial control.

Thanks dictionary.com, we always use you when people think they are providing a service by mixing truth with lies to confuse and encourage propaganda against America.

Edited by ussr1943, 31 July 2007 - 09:40 AM.

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:01 AM

The IRS, however, may take extreme actions against individuals, and these actions are not subject to the regular legal system, since it has its own court system. It may not be fascism, but this kind of arbitrary "justice" is certainly tyrannical.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:01 AM

Agreed John. I don't mind the government taking my taxes. I know at the end of the day I really don't have a choice, but at least I'm not the only one who doesn't have a choice. And at least the government tries to use it for good and for what we wanted them to. But if we ever tried to stir a "revolution" on anything in our country, whether it be taxes or not, we would be considered "anti-american."

#10 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:01 PM

I think that you people may have been taxed on their income before 1913, its just that the movie I think claims that it is illegal the WAY in which our incomes are taxed at this time.
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users