Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Do You Need To Consistent In Your Use Of Words In This Field?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gooky_*

Guest_gooky_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:16 PM

Seems like PC, machine, and computer are interchangeable both for IT techs and end-users. Is it better to pick one word, and be consistent with it or is it ok to jump from one word to another?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:27 PM

Hi gooky.

As long as everyone knows what you are talking about. The three words you mentioned are pretty much interchangeable among users. It is a different story when you get to specific components as any arbitrary variation there would cause unnecessary confusion. IMO.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:13 PM

Unfortunately too many people have used terms incorrectly and those terms have become synonymous with others, the term cursor and pointer are a good case in point. I have always tried to be specific in my terminology so that there would not be any confusion as to what was being discussed. If you have any doubt as to the meaning of a computer related term you can always look it up at Webopedia.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:58 AM

When talking to your peers, a careful distinction is required. For example, PC is commonly used only for home computers running a version of MS Windows;again, there is a major difference between how a programme functions and how an application functions.
But in common, or casual discourse, it is perfectly acceptable to use terms in general senses as long as the context clearly indicates your meaning. If someone calls me and says "My CPU has a virus," I know what he means, and I would not, for example, tell him, "No, your computer software has a trojan......"
It is always the intended audience that should guide you in your use of terminology.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 30 July 2007 - 07:59 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users