Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

8800gts Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 benny269

benny269

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:58 PM

Having researched the different types of graphics cards currently available, I believe the 8800 GTS 320MB will best suit my needs. However there is a large number of these products on the market, each with different prices.

The main difference I can tell is the branding but I don't understand the relevance of this in relation to pricing. What are the things to look at when buying a specific graphics card? Is any one company's 8800 GTS better than that of another company? Which is the best?

Help appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 i have no name

i have no name

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:26 PM

Most 8800gts are the same its the manufacturing packaging and clock speeds that are different, for example some come factory overclocked which are nice but cost a little more and some don't but you can overclock them yourself, some cards also come with games and other software if you dont want any of that stuff try finding a cheap one
My system specs
Small chip that goes fast some spinning things a case, a mouse, and a keyboard and a wonderful rectanlge box of colors.

#3 Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:55 PM

You should also look for the power supply requirements for the card(s) you are considering, then make sure your supply meets that need. I recommend you use the eXtreme PSU Calculator Lite to determine your power requirements. Plug in all the hardware you think you might have in 2 or 3 years (extra drives, bigger or 2nd video card, more RAM, etc.). Be sure to read and heed the notes at the bottom. I recommend you set Capacitor Aging to 30% and if you participate in distributive computing projects, I recommend setting TDP to 100%.

kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gifWindows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
───────────────────────

#4 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:16 AM

Ok well thanks for that link Bill it will be handy when I've finalised all my parts.

I have no need for any additional games or software so I assume basic models should be fine. How much of a difference does an OC'd graphics card make - particularly this one? Also how hard is it to do yourself as I would much rather learn to do so by my own hand.

Can anyone recommend any good brands they have had a good experience with?

#5 Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:18 AM

I have no need for any additional games or software so I assume basic models should be fine. How much of a difference does an OC'd graphics card make - particularly this one?

Are you saying your are not a hard-core gamer? If not, then the 8800GTS is WAY overkill for and you could probably do much better with a lesser card and spend the extra money elsewhere - like more RAM! Perhaps you should tell us about your computing habits and a little bit about your current computer (including OS, current graphics setup, and amount of RAM).

If you use your computer primarily with office productivity software, surfing the Internet, email, watching an occasional DVD, etc. then something like a 7600GT 256MB DDR2 will most likely meet and even exceed your needs just fine (even in dual-monitor mode).

Also, does your motherboard support PCIe? I don't think the 8800GT series comes in any format other than PCIe.

Also how hard is it to do yourself as I would much rather learn to do so by my own hand.

It's easy. But there are specific instructions for video cards. You generally have to remove your old drivers first, then install the new, then install the card. Just be sure to read the instructions. And, of course, you must observe, ESD precautions so static from your body does not destroy the new card or other components. And remember to unplug the computer. But again, read the instructions. Your card's maker may have slightly different procedures.

Can anyone recommend any good brands they have had a good experience with?

I like XFX and BFG.

Freedom is NOT Free!
───────────────────────

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:59 PM

Personally, I like the eVGA brand. They have excellent RMA policies. Keep in mind if you want to futureproof your PC you will need a good graphics card. The one you get will be obsolete quicker than you think. You should also have at least 2GB of RAM if you're planning on using any kind of graphically intensive programs. The 320MB GTS card is geared for the mid-range user who may have some games but not many. The 8800 series of video cards is considered DirectX 10 capable, however the 320MB card doesn't run it very well.

3939.png

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:38 PM

Leadtek Just handed over one of their Leviathan Geforce 8800 Ultra Video cards to THG for testing. Its proposedly the "fastest" card on the market. It'll set you back 900 bucks though.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:06 PM

Leadtek Just handed over one of their Leviathan Geforce 8800 Ultra Video cards to THG for testing. Its proposedly the "fastest" card on the market. It'll set you back 900 bucks though.

And they are only like 3 inches X 6 or 7 inches - might as well get 2! lol

Freedom is NOT Free!
───────────────────────

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:32 PM

A quick look at the BestBuy(cough,hack,choke) today reveals that the BFG8600GS can be had for the same amount as the 7300GS (yes the 7300 was well overpriced @ $130)

Posted Image

#10 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:17 PM

Anybody currently looking at nvidia's 8800's for gaming may wish to see the article below:

Nvidia will fix 8800 by mid-September

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:46 PM

The bug seems to affect the 320MB series the most. I wouldn't recommend this card for many people, it just isn't that great when it comes to DX10 games. It does have decent DX9 support though.

3939.png

#12 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:22 PM

Are you saying your are not a hard-core gamer? If not, then the 8800GTS is WAY overkill

Currently no I'm not a hard-core gamer nor will I be in the near future, however I want this PC build to be capable of producing good quality gameplay for majority of games.

What I meant was I don't need any additional software/games bundled with the card. As DJBPace was sugegsting, I would be the mid-range gamer with some recent games. And just to clarify, I am building a new PC which will definitely have at least 1 PCIe slot and 2MB of RAM.

The 8800 series of video cards is considered DirectX 10 capable, however the 320MB card doesn't run it very well.

Can it handle some early DX10 stuff as per my 'mid-range' requirements. I don't want to go for the much more expensive GTX as that IS overkill for me but do you think the 640MB card would be a better investment?

Also, with regards to Nvidia issue, this is the first I've heard of it, can someone explain to me what this is all about? Will the fix make a significant improvement? Any info on this would be useful.

#13 Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:56 PM

If you are using Windows Vista, or plan to use it in the near future, I recommend avoiding NVIDIA cards. Even with this latest driver update on July 26, there are still too many issues. As Ed Bott notes in his ZDNet Blog here there are still 10 pages!!! of open issues - some are serious!

If using Windows Vista and looking for a new graphics card, go ATI, or wait until NVIDIA figures out how to write drivers for Vista. Hopefully it will not be long, but sadly, they've had 5 month to get it right, and just don't seem to be making any progress. Fortunately, NVIDIA drivers for XP are stable.

Freedom is NOT Free!
───────────────────────

#14 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:21 PM

I haven't had any problems with my 8800GTS under 64-bit Vista. After reading many of the forums, the issues relating to the drivers appear to be hit-or-miss. DirectX10 uses features that aren't available in DX9 which tax the card greatly. The 320MB version will run DX9 games just fine but the DX10 titles will be sluggish.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users