Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitioning For Separate Os's

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Raydanator

Raydanator

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 02:23 PM

Hi, I have a quick question concerning macbooks and os's in general. If I was to purchase an Apple laptop, could I partition the hard drive to have Windows Xp, or Ubuntu, or both, or is that kind of impossible/stupid. I have been a Windoes user all my life, would like to branch out. Thanks for the help,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 02:38 PM

You can format the Hard Drive with out problems. Usage depends on the processor (x86 or PPC). I am unsure if windows has a PPC version. Ubuntu does though

Posted Image

#3 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:54 PM

The newer Macs now run on intels and with OS/X 10.5 boot camp has come pre-installed which will allow you to run Windows and Mac OS/X on the same machine.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#4 narada

narada

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:24 AM

I also want to install both (Win XP, Ubuntu). But i don't know how to do it.once i have installed Ubuntu. but i got sum problems in my hard disk.so is there anyone to help me on dis problem, coz i really wanna install both.

regds.....!

#5 DLH7

DLH7

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:24 PM

You can install other operating systems on an Intel-based MAC. Try using virtualization software. Examples include Parallels Desktop for Mac and VMware Fusion.

#6 TVT

TVT

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:20 PM

Well BootCamp will walk you through installing XP. I dont know if you can install a third OS or not. Ive been meaning to try it, but want to get a bigger hard drive first.
Posted Image

#7 MrJim2

MrJim2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:48 PM

In a related note:

1. Can an external hard-drive be used instead of partitioning? I've one that's 250GB, which is about190GB bigger than I need but it was a good deal to use for backups (Time Machine/Leopard), but wonder if I couldn't use some of that space for something else.

2. I've got Windows XP (home) on discs that came with my old Compaq Presario~can these be used on another system? (yeah, I bettin' fat chance on that one :thumbsup:

#8 TVT

TVT

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:40 AM

I know its possible to boot off an external firewire drive with OS X, but I haven't tried it with other operating systems at all.

Edited by TVT, 24 December 2007 - 12:41 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users