Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Move Files After Taking Ownership

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Blufx

Blufx

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:23 PM

Hi all,
I had a bad experience upgrading to Windows Vista. Everything went fine untill time to start it for the first time. It booted normally, showed the windows start screen, then I got a nanosecond BSOD and it started booting again. The repair option didn't fix it. Like a Dip___, I didn't do a back up. So I installed another hard drive and Windows XP, then gathered up all my data from the other drive and placed it in a folder in the new drive. After that, I formated the old drive and reinstalled XP. Now, when I try to move the data after logging in as an administrator, turning off simple file sharing and taking ownership of the folder, I get this message:

"Cannot copy (file or folder name): Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use. "

No matter what I try, I get the same message.
Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Mark (blufx)

Looking back....I should have been a lot more specific when I said I wanted to be somebody.albertavatar.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:57 PM

Just double-checking, you followed these instructions correct?
Mark
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 02:00 PM

Hi Blufx. I just wanted to make sure that you tried to "taking ownership of the folder" you used the right method:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Note that if you are running XP Home you must restart in Safe Mode.

#4 Blufx

Blufx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 04:28 PM

Yes, these are the instructions I followed. I'm running XP Pro.

Thanks,
Mark

Looking back....I should have been a lot more specific when I said I wanted to be somebody.albertavatar.jpg

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:53 PM

I've had problems with the settings for the folder propogating down through all the files and folders that are contained in the folder. While it's a genuine PITA, navigating down the directory structure taking ownership should fix this - even if it means taking individual ownership of each and every file individually! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Blufx

Blufx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:06 PM

John,
I really hope we can find another way. I'm talking about literally thousands files locked up here. All my music, pictures, videos, documents, and program install files I've collected. It would take countless hours to gain ownership and transfer them individually! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help and I'm still hoping for more,

Mark

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:37 AM

Copy the files to a FAT32 formatted drive, that'll strip the permissions off of them and you can then use them without issue.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:06 PM

Your problem is that you cannot use Windows to copy or move the files - the permissions are preventing this. You may be able to bypass using Windows by using a Linux boot CD such as Knoppix. It may have the ability to read NTFS and FAT partitions. I don't know whether it can load the right drivers for your system and for an external hard drive or USB drive to back up onto. It would be nice if it had a CD burning program included.

Perhaps other readers on this forum can give more detailed suggestions or alternatives.

#9 Blufx

Blufx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:18 PM

ALRIGHT GUYS!!!

That's the best ideas I've heard yet. Sounds too simple to be true. But I really love the simple way. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,
Mark

#10 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:29 PM

PClinuxOS has CD burning software built in, and so does slax, both have detected my external USB hard drive and USB flash drive.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#11 Blufx

Blufx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:41 PM

John,
Just letting you know, I have to buy another hard drive in order to try that. I'm going to Wal-Mart tonite to get one. I'll let you know how it goes after that.

Mark

#12 Blufx

Blufx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:31 PM

Well John, I get the same message when trying to move the files to a FAT32 drive. I've tried moving individual files with the same result. I've got to try something else now. I don't have any expirence with Knoppix or PClinuxOS, but I got to do something. You got anymore ideas?

Mark

#13 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:34 AM

Blufx, you really should try PClinuxOS. It's a bootable "livecd", that is, it does not use the hard drive in any way to run. It loads and runs completely in RAM from a bootable CD (DVD ?) When you take the CD out and reboot your hard drive will remain unchanged and run XP as it did before.

I don't know whether it can read NTFS drives or not, but it's worth a try. If it can then you can run the CD burning program to copy the files either to a CD/DVD or use the file manager to copy the files to an external drive. It should ignore XP permissions, which is the whole point of trying this.

You will find that this linux OS looks rather similar to XP. It has a Desktop and a file manager that works pretty much the same. There's no Start button, though. All you will need to do is either locate and run the CD burning program or drag-and-drop the files to your external hard drive. Once your files are copied it's highly reccommended that you convert the external hard drive to NTFS. FAT is error-prone and error-generating. That goes for you XP installation drive, too, in case it's not already in NTFS format.

You have nothing to lose, except a CD and your time.

#14 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:06 PM

Blufx,

If I understand correctly, you still have two physical drives in your computer. You want to copy files/folders from your secondary drive (e.g., "D:"), which is an NTFS volume, to your primary drive (e.g., "C:")?

This may be a long shot, but at this point it might be worth a try. Rather than just taking ownership of particular folders or files, try taking ownership of the entire drive/partition. In "My Computer", right-click on the drive in question (e.g., "D:"), select the "Properties" command and then follow the rest of the instructions for taking ownership of a folder.

When you modify the permissions on the drive (2nd part of Step 6.), be sure to check the "Replace permission entries on all child object with entries shown here that apply to child objects" in the "Permissions" tab.

#15 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:08 PM

Regarding PCLinuxOS

Data rescue instructions:
http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

PCLinux download:
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

You should be able to drag-and-drop or copy-paste whole folders at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users