Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error At Start-up?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 corn8dog

corn8dog

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:22 AM

hey people,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 corn8dog

corn8dog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:25 AM

My problem is that at start-up I recieve an error message stating that my cpu fan failed and I will have to hit f2 in order to boot my system? Both of the fans on the back of the tower appear to be working fine and are pretty clean of dust. What is causing this and how do I fix it?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:31 AM

That is the heatsink fan attached to the CPU. I would advise not running it until it is fixed Give us the make and model of your computer and we can walk you through the process. It might also just be clogged with dirt and not able to move. Removing the cover and a good cleaning with canned air would be recommended
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 29 July 2007 - 11:34 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 corn8dog

corn8dog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:40 PM

the computer is a hp pavilion 754n.

#5 corn8dog

corn8dog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 12:57 PM

I took the covers off and cleaned with canned air and I still have same problem. Fan speeds seem normal. Both fans are rotating. Temps seem good. Not sure why I am getting an error. Computer seems to work fine other than having to hit f2 everytime I start the computer tower. Anyone help on this one? Do I need to go in somewhere and reset something?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:56 PM

With the case open you will notice that there is a board that all of you external devices connect to at the back of the case. This is the motherboard, and depending on the make and model there should be a fan sitting on a heat sink which is attached to the PCU, if this is not running the CPU will quickly overheat and will shut the system down.

Some models don't have a fan and depend on a large passive heat sink with a plenum to draw air over it, if the grill at the front of the case is impeded by dust and other material this could cause the CPU to overheat and shut down.

Until you provide us with the make and model of your computer we won't know what type of system you have and will not be able to address your specific problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 corn8dog

corn8dog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 01:22 PM

The make of the computer is HP. It is an HP pavilion 700 series, a 754n. I went and purchased a new fan and it did not help. Still gettting a cpu fan failure upon start-up. I do not have a fan on top of my cpu unit. I have a fan in the rear of the tower with a piece of plastic duct work directing the air over the cpu unit fins. Is the sensor on my mother board not working properly and if so what do I do about that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users