Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen When Running Disk Defrag

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 LindnArden

LindnArden

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:26 AM

My first post so be gentle :flowers:

I am getting the blue screen crash when running Disk Defrag - it was also happening when I was running Photoshop CS2 but I reinstalled that and that now seems to be OK. The error message can be seen here (apologies for the french!)

http://www.kandrews.co.uk/bsod.jpg

I have done a system restore to two weeks ago when I know the system was running fine but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I have tried running defrag with internet connection / AVG / Zone alarm all disabled....still no good.

Running Windows XP - I have a HiJack log should it be appropriate for me to post it....in the words of Midge Ure, it means nothing to me

cheers :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:43 AM

oooo Veee enna :thumbsup:

Have a read of this post where the problem seems to be solved and let us know if it helped.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-...hile-using.html

Edited by Vino Rosso, 29 July 2007 - 08:43 AM.

#3 LindnArden

LindnArden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:48 AM

Thanks for that - he seems to have solved it by removing and reinstalling every driver....I wouldn't even know where to begin with that....any hints ??

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:18 AM

Have you tried running defrag in Safe Mode?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 LindnArden

LindnArden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:22 AM

yup......same problem

#6 Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:38 AM

Thanks for that - he seems to have solved it by removing and reinstalling every driver....I wouldn't even know where to begin with that....any hints ??

Well, viamraid.sys is a RAID driver. Do you use RAID on your drives? You could try re-installing this.

#7 LindnArden

LindnArden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:49 AM

a ) Do you use RAID on your drives? ....er..... :thumbsup: .....how would I know that ??
b ) You could try re-installing this....er.... :flowers: .....how would I do that ??

Edited by LindnArden, 29 July 2007 - 09:49 AM.

#8 Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 12:57 PM

A few questions...

When did you last de-frag with no problems?

What changes have you made to your computer since then?

Did you make any changes to your computer just before the BSODs started?

Have you tried booting from the 'Last known good configuration'?

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:33 PM

viamraid.sys is a driver that works on your motherboard and is from VIA Technologies. Could you let us know the make and model of your system so that we can point you to some updated drivers that should fix this issue? If it's a custom built system we'll need the make and model of the motherboard.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 LindnArden

LindnArden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:24 AM

When did you last de-frag with no problems?
Couple of weeks ago

What changes have you made to your computer since then?
Nothingmuch I can think of....

Did you make any changes to your computer just before the BSODs started?
No (I don't think)

Have you tried booting from the 'Last known good configuration'?
No, but I did restore the system to a point before these issues were occurring

make and model of the motherboard is MSI 915PM, at least thats what is says inside the box. The PC is a PowerNet which I think is some kind of generic French make.....

Thanks for all your help thus far people........

#11 LindnArden

LindnArden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:12 AM

A new and amusing addition to my problem is that the BSOD sometimes appears when no programmes are open.....presumably some internet / virus scan / firewall related shenanigans.

Joy of joys.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:16 AM

VIA PIDE/SATA RAID Drivers & Utility about 2/3 of the way down this page: http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=do...amp;prod_no=157
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 LindnArden

LindnArden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:03 AM

A HA ! Downloaded and installed.....defrag runs properly and (as yet) no BSODeath.....my hat, were I to be wearing one, would be in the air....

This place is very good - I have no doubt I shall return.....imbecile that I am.

#14 Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:00 PM

Good one usasma :thumbsup:

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:49 AM

Thanks Vino Rosso! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users