Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Performance Increase

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Sp0nge

Sp0nge

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:30 AM

Hello everybody, a friend of mine gave me a link to a site that sells pretty cheap hardware at a shop near me and I am looking into buying some of their stuff.

I am looking for something that will give me the BEST framerate boost in demanding games or best performance increases in demanding programs such as Adobe after effects, for the amount of money that I will pay. So -simplified - best performanced increase for best money ;)

Here are my current specs:

Intel®
Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz
3.01GHz 1Gb RAM

GPU - Radeon 9550 Pro, 128mb.

here is what I can buy and what price I will pay for them:

* Prices in $AUD

512mb Inno3D 7300GT (Nvidia Chipset - AGP) for $127

512mb HIS X1650Pro IceQ2 (ATI Radeon Chipset - AGP) for $149

2GB - 667 Kingston A Grade DD2 RAM for $125

--

Im thinking that my cooling unit might need to be upgraded to maybe cool an overclocked GPU, so let me know if the GPU overheats a lot ;)

Cheers,

sp0nge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:41 AM

I'd suggest another 1 gB of RAM and a 256 mB video card if money's a problem. If not, go with either video card and the 2 gB upgrade.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:43 AM

The x1650 is much better then the 7300Gt. Go with that, you will see a big improvement in games you play.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:12 AM

Nowadays, you can get an nvidia 8600 for under 150 dollars on newegg. I'd check that out for great gaming performance.

Posted Image

#5 Sp0nge

Sp0nge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 04:39 PM

Yes the 8600 is there. But isnt that a PCI-E card?

I think I will take a bit of everybody's advice and buy 512mb HIS X1650Pro IceQ2 (ATI Radeon Chipset - AGP) and 2GB - 667 Kingston A Grade DD2 RAM.

I dont quite get what Usama was saying. Another 1gb on top of the 2gb DDR2? or another 1gig ontop of my current RAM?

Anyhow, thanks very moochh.
:thumbsup:

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:17 PM

he is suggesting getting 1 GB RAM on top of your current 1 GB and then getting a moderate video card as the increase in memory and video will provide the best overall upgrade (and frankly i havent seen any reason to expand beyond 2 GB yet except high-end gaming)

Posted Image

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:20 PM

for what you want to do, just add 1 gig of ram, but get a good gamer card, the nvidia 7600 agp series

on anything cpu intensive that P4 will hold you back and you'll probably never need the extra 2 gigs
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:01 PM

Sorry, I was trying to say have a total of 2 gB of RAM and a decent video card (with 256 mB of VRAM) in order to get the biggest bang for your buck. I hear that some games these days are asking for 2 gB of RAM.

But. if you've got more money than that, I'd go with 2 gB of RAM and a 512 mB VRAM video card.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:42 PM

Ah sorry, I didn't even notice you needed an agp card. My bad. And yeah, I've got a 7600, it runs fine for my needs. I run dual monitors and play some pretty graphic intensive games like supcom and bf2142, it runs at all medium-high with maybe 2-4 times anti aliasing.

Posted Image

#10 Sp0nge

Sp0nge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:10 AM

ok going with extra 2 gig ram, and the x1650!

How exactly do you install 'extra' RAM? Or do you have to do what I believe you have to do, and buy a 3 gig RAM thing in order to get a 2 gig increase in RAM?

I probably don't make ANY sense, let me try and explain.

Are you able to 'add' more RAM to what you have now? Say if I wanted 2 gig of RAM to be on my computer, and I currently had 1 gig. Would I need to buy a 2 gigabyte hardware thing? or a 1 gig RAM thing and install it 'into' the 1 gig I already had?

oh well, thanks in advance :thumbsup:

What ya think $276 bucks, bargain ;)

#11 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:23 AM

Depends on what your situation is like. You stick the RAM sticks into slots. Most motherboards come with four of slots. If you got empty slots you can add RAM, but if all the slots are full you need to replace the RAM sticks you have with bigger ones. There are a few other things to keep in mind depending on what kind of motherboard and RAM you have.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 31 July 2007 - 04:23 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:50 AM

what's your motherboard?
Chewy

#13 Sp0nge

Sp0nge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:19 AM

I checked my motherboard and its got free RAM spots.

ok so i guess now i just go buy the stuff and install it :thumbsup:

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:17 AM

Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X v2.0 Deluxe (5 PCI, 1 AGP Pro, 3 DDR DIMM, Dual LAN, IEEE-1394)

Chipset Properties:
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400
Memory Timings 2-3-3-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
Command Rate (CR) 1T

SPD Memory Modules:
DIMM1: GeIL CL2-3-3 Ultra-400 256 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (2.0-3-3-6 @ 200 MHz)
DIMM3: GeIL CL2-3-3 Ultra-400 256 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (2.0-3-3-6 @ 200 MHz)

I wouldn't buy any ram without knowing this information

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

computer/overclock/report/text
Chewy

#15 Sp0nge

Sp0nge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:15 PM

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 11/02/2004-SiS-648FX-6A7I0G0QC-00
Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-8S648FXP-RZ© (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio)

Chipset Properties:
Motherboard Chipset SiS 648FX
Memory Timings 2.5-5-5-9 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

SPD Memory Modules:
DIMM1 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (2.5-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz)
DIMM2 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (2.5-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz)

It says PCI up there, does that mean I could run the PCI gfx cards?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users