Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Js/psyme

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sheila P

Sheila P

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:03 AM

I regularly update my PC with AVG. Last night when stupidly clicking onto an unknown url AVG detected that it was dangerous site and up popped a warning. I was not sure what to do so I clicked the x at the top of the AVG and then run a scan on my computer. This took 45 minutes and detected JS/Psyme and that it was in the following address\localsettings\Temp Internet Files\Content IE5\4HWBOVKU\207.255.58

It would not move it to the vault or delete the file so this morning I deleted all my temporary internet files, cookies, saved passwords etc. So far I have not come across any problems but am very nervous as to what this virus may have done without my knowledge.

Can anyone advise me what if anything else I should now do?

Many thanks
Sheila P :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:39 AM

It is possible that you caught the "downloader trojan" before it was able to install on your computer. It is always a good idea to run other scans to make sure it is gone. Here are two of the best to scan with. Let us know the results. The description "downloader trojan" is exactly as it implies. It intended to download a lot more malware onto your computer.
Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:03 PM

This should give you a bit more info on the trojan......
http://www.viruslist.com/en/viruses/encycl...?virusid=160489
as it was in your 'temp internet files' and these have now been cleared.... you should be ok.
But run the scans as suggested by buddy215 just to make sure.

BBPP6nz.png

#4 Sheila P

Sheila P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:05 AM

Thank you so much Starbuck and Buddy for your help. I have now installed and run a scan from Super Antispyware. It just found 16 harmless cookies that I have deleted just to be on the safe side. So hopefully no harm done from that nasty Js/psyme thingy!

I am sorry that it took me so long to reply but working full time does not give me a lot of time or enthusiasm during the week to sort out my PC problems. The past couple of weekends the weather has been far too good and living near the beach it is too much to resist getting out and about.

Anyway as at today I have another 69 and one half working days left before I retire, so come the winter hopefully I shall be glued to the PC.

Thanks again eveyone. This is a really useful forum.

:thumbsup:

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for posting back. Glad we could help.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users