Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gaming Desktop, Casual-use Laptop!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Sake

Sake

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 03:17 AM

Yarrr, I'm recently wanting to buy a sexy Gaming Desktop. Of course, like every other computer noob out there, I thought "hmm... alienware," but after reading a lot of articles, etcetera, etcetera, I discovered that alienware is indeed the best gaming rig, but the most expensive, and their computers are totally unreliable. So now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Desktop
I have a budget of about ~$2000 - $2500 for the DESKTOP, even though $2500 is pushing it a little. Now, the kind of desktop that I want is not a super fast, ub3r gaming rig, but something a little above average, and a reliable machine that won't just crash on me because it's under cooled, or just for some reason in the next 1 - 2 years. To make it easier, here's a bullet list of what I want:
  • Gaming Desktop
  • $2000 -$2500 budget (2500 pushing it a little, but will pay if I can get the most bang for the buck)
  • Above average, but doesn't need to be super ub3r
  • Reliable, won't crash in the next 1 - 2 years
  • Games such as World of Warcraft, Warhammer (when it releases :thumbsup:), Starcraft 2, and games such as those
Laptop
Pretty much, the laptop I want is for home use. My mom's birthday is coming up, and one of the things I want to present to her is a new laptop (her old laptop broke down a few months back). Pretty much all I'm asking for is something simple. A laptop that she'll be able to surf the internet with, complete simple tasks like e-mail, word, etcetera. She won't be playing any games on there, but I also want the laptop to be extremely reliable and safe. What I mean is I want the laptop to last for 3+ years, and since she's totally an internet noob, I don't want her laptop to get infected by a virus or some internet bug when she's opening her e-mail's. I'm thinking about Norton (what my current computer has, but it's such a huge CPU hog, and I'm starting to hate it) or maybe AVG (I've heard great things about it). I don't care if I have to pay for the anti-virus/firewall. Lastly, I want it to be decently light, but I want the screen to be as big as possible, for eye-sight reasons. The budget on this laptop is around $1,500 (I'm sure a computer like this could be bought for maybe around $1,500) Once again, a bullet list:
  • Laptop able to complete simple tasks (e-mail, word, internet)
  • Reliable (3+ years)
  • Anti-virus/Firewall (Norton... AVG? Any other ideas?)
  • Decently light with a big a screen as possible
  • ~$1,500
Both
For the operating system, I was thinking Vista, but I heard it's a total waste on a gaming rig right now, but it's such an inticing deal! If it's really all that bad for a gaming pc, then I'm sure it'll be fine for the laptop I'm buying. Any other ideas?

Edited by Sake, 29 July 2007 - 12:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:34 AM

Do you want to build your desktop, or just buy one that's pre-assembled?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Sake

Sake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:05 AM

Pre-assembeled. Thanks for any help mate. :thumbsup:

#4 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:06 AM

Check out http://www.falcon-nw.com/ Falcon Northwest is one of the best pre-assembled computer maker out there, but they (like most pre-assembled) run a bit pricey. More specifically, check out the Talon config, at default it runs 1800, so you could soup it up a bit and stay in your range.

Edited by T, 29 July 2007 - 11:07 AM.

Posted Image

#5 Sake

Sake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:58 AM

Yeah, I've also heard those Falcon desktops are extremely pricey (such as Alienware). When I googled Alienware, I found TONS of horror stories of Alienware computers crashing, then sent back to Alienware to fix and coming back months later even worse. That and the crazy prices are the top two reasons I decided not to get an Alienware. Like I said before, I've also heard Falcon desktops are extremely pricey. Does that mean if I don't pay a lot of money for the rig, it won't be as good as it can be? What upgrades should I get for the most bang for the buck in my range?

Lastly, I added another bullet under desktop, just to show what type of games I plan to play on this rig and another section at the end of my first post.

Edited by Sake, 29 July 2007 - 12:02 PM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 02:34 PM

Reliable and laptops don't always belong in the same sentence :thumbsup: and everyone has their own opinion, but I have an old IBM Thinkpad somewhere that I haven't seen in a year and I'll guarantee if I find it and plug it in, it'll work
Mark
As far as a gaming desktop goes, I know a few people that swear by these guys
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

Edited by garmanma, 29 July 2007 - 02:43 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 03:05 PM

I have very few issues with Dell Laptops (between me my Mom and my neighbor) Pannasonic Toughbooks are sturdy as all get out (on of the guys at the shop next door dropped theirs into a concrete pit (something like a 7 ft drop) and it still works) but very pricey. Toshiba's and HP's are also good. but pick of the litter for me is an Acer (price + features and reliability).

As for the gaming rig 2500 will barely get you in the door now from the looks of things. i would look into a barebones kit like these. Tiger Direct. And then add the hard Drive, Graphics Card, Sound Card, Ethernet and Modem Cards, and OS (you would be able to have a much better PC for less green) or a custom build from a Local PC shop.

Posted Image

#8 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:17 PM

As for the gaming rig 2500 will barely get you in the door now from the looks of things.

Well. . .maybe if you want some ultimate rig. Frankly, I'm perfectly happy with my 7600gt and c2d and 200 gigs of storage. A rig like this ran me about 1200, with all the trimmings. I don't know, I just really don't believe in getting cutting edge hardware because you can always upgrade later when the price drops. Also, if you make a custom rig upgrading is A LOT easier.

Posted Image

#9 Sake

Sake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:39 AM

Sorry for the late reply guys.

Comp
So right now, from your suggestions so far for the desktop it's down to Dell, Falcon, and Cyberpower? Honestly, the computer I want is one that'll be able to smoothly run a game like WoW, CS, you know, the regulars. The problem I have right now is my current computer is just a huge piece of flaming bleep. I can play a simple game like CS and black blocks (the graphic card sucks) are all around the screen, and the game is hella laggy (not my internet connection). I don't even want to start talking about WoW. So currently I have a World of Warcraft and a Burning Crusade CD just gathering dust on my shelf (don't ask why I even bought it in the first place, even though my computer sucks this much, I don't know either :thumbsup:). I'm guessing all of you guys would say that Dell, Falcon, and Cyberpower are pretty good, so I'm guessing it's really just down to what computer I wanna choose for myself? But in your opinion(s), which computer and which brand of computer could I get the most bang for the buck around my price range and what upgrades would you recommend for a MUST as a fellow gamer? Thanks, and sorry for the long paragraph.

Lap

@Garmanma: Yeah, one of my buddies has an IBM as well and it runs pretty smoothly.

I'm thinking about that as well. So once again, looks like it's down to Dell, IBM, Acer, HP, Toshiba? Really, I don't think choosing a laptop takes as much care as a gaming pc. So really all I'm asking is which in your opinion(s) has the most reliable brand, which laptop to buy, which laptop would be the best for home use, and what upgrades to get (if any).

Thanks!

Edited by Sake, 30 July 2007 - 09:41 AM.

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:56 AM

I would certainly urge you to think seriously about building your own desktop computer, Sake. Or at least buying the parts and having a knowledgeable friend help you assemble it---you can get better, more reliable components (and complete documentation) for much less than any pre-built configuration. A self-built computer, too, is generally easier to upgrade (one can purchase a slightly older video card for much less than the current state-of-the-art card, and upgrade it later as prices drop). Most of the extreme gaming rigs don't give you much extra bang for the buck, especially if you don't need an impressive (some would say flamboyant) case, and in many they cases have operating systems for which no depth of games currently exist.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:02 PM

I agree with John. Only you know your exact needs and Cpu's and graphics cards are always up for debate. For the laptop, you don't have to consider battery life too much if it's just going to stay on the table, but it will still need to be properly maintained. You should consider heat, though. Maybe one of those cooling pads would help out
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 Sake

Sake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:17 PM

Yeah, I know I'm probably better off just buulding that gaming rig, but since I'm also still a student (at the moment), I definitely need that new computer ASAP since school starts soon. I know I'm a retard for waiting so late, but I also would rather just prefer buying a pre-made. If I had a computer savvy friend, I wouldn't even be on Bleeping Computer asking for help, I'd be talking to him at this moment, but thanks for the suggestion. Thanks for the suggestion, jgweed. I'm thinking about getting either Cyberpower or Dell at the moment, not so sure about Falcon.

Thanks garmana, I'll look into that battery life thing.

#13 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:19 PM

Reliable and laptops don't always belong in the same sentence :thumbsup: and everyone has their own opinion, but I have an old IBM Thinkpad somewhere that I haven't seen in a year and I'll guarantee if I find it and plug it in, it'll work
Mark
As far as a gaming desktop goes, I know a few people that swear by these guys
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

haha I could say the same about the laptop my grandpa gave me. It was sitting in the base ment for over 10 year... I plugged it in and it ran perfectly.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#14 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:10 PM

I had heard in the past that Dell was going to buy Alienware? Assuming they did since their gaming PCs got alot better shortly after that

Posted Image

#15 Sake

Sake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:25 AM

Yeah, they did end up buying Alienware. No clue what happened after that.

Comp
I'm actually really planning on getting that Cyberpower PC, as I also saw it featured as the top Gaming PC in PC World, but what I'm wondering what now is what upgrades to get that would be really worth it in my range. Also, what should I get? Intel or AMD desktop? What's the difference? Lastly, what computer should I buy? A computer in my range, or a cheap one, and then upgrade it into my range?

Laptop
I'm really thinking about an IBM now, I'll look into it and update later.

Lastly, any suggestions for operating system?

Edited by Sake, 01 August 2007 - 10:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users