Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"remote Procedure Call" Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 yukaloo

yukaloo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:29 PM

Upon startup, system opened very slowly. Then when it did load to desktop a window came up saying "This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost.
This shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Windows must now restart because REMOTE PROCEDURE CALL (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly.

This shows up every time and then will restart the system. It won't allow me to start in safe mode or anything.
I took the main "C" drive out and installed it into a portable device and connected it to another PC, it seems to work fine.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SaxonManFinland

SaxonManFinland

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 12:50 AM

You should carry out a Full anti Virus, Trojan, Worm and Other nasty things Scan.

RPC is a typical error message caused by many viruses/worms.

Identify it (if it exists) and then delete it. You can ID virruss on the net and Symantec have a whole load of single removal tools, once you have name of offending Virus/worm.

#3 yukaloo

yukaloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 02:15 PM

That is good advice, but I can't get past the failing startup to run any of my Anti-virus tools. There is no tool bar at the bottom of my desktop to even stop/start my computer. Anything else?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:50 PM

Try searching Google for Command Line Scanners - and use them along with a boot disk to clean the hard drive. Once that's done you may have to also do a repair install to get Windows to boot up for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 yukaloo

yukaloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:57 AM

Try searching Google for Command Line Scanners - and use them along with a boot disk to clean the hard drive. Once that's done you may have to also do a repair install to get Windows to boot up for you.

Qestion is how can I run this program if I can't get past the start up? Tried going to safe mode and doing a last known good start , but to no avail. Could I download a trial version and run this "Command line scanner" program in safe mode?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:04 AM

If you can get into Safe Mode you can try running your anti-virus and anti-spyware scans there.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:40 AM

You use the boot disk to boot to DOS rather than Windows, then you run the command line scanner from DOS.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 yukaloo

yukaloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:38 AM

If you can get into Safe Mode you can try running your anti-virus and anti-spyware scans there.

I am going to try that. I don't know if I have a boot disk anymore, (USASMA) this PC has seen some years. But I woulD like to get some life back from it ,at least a few breaths.
What if the anti-virus doesn't reveal any worms or such? Can I internet in safe mode? I have never had to do much of this search and repair so this is fairly new to me, but I can follow basic commands rather well.
Thanks all for your replies, I will post after my tests.

Edited by yukaloo, 31 July 2007 - 09:39 AM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:47 AM

If the scanner doesn't find any worms or viruses, then we'll have to look elsewhere for the problem.
You can use the internet in Safe Mode - but it's designed as a diagnostic mode, so you won't be real happy doing it. To access the web you'll have to start Safe Mode with Networking Support (but don't do that until the rest of the troubleshooting is done - that way, if it is a virus, it won't be able to communicate with it's "host")

#10 Adam.H

Adam.H

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:11 AM

I have also been affected by a similar RPC Shutdown error but have now got the situation sorted out.

Here's what you do:

1) When the shutdown window appears go to: Start > All Programmes > Accessories > Command prompt

2) At the prompt type: shutdown -a this will abort the shutdown and the window will disappear

You will find that some system tools are now not working (eg copy and paste) this is normal - don't worry we'll fix this in a moment.

3) Most often this RPC error is caused by the blaster worm of one of it's variants so download the FixBlast tool from Symantec and read the removal instructions which are here.

After running FixBlast hopefully you will have found the cause of the problem and sorted it out but there are a few other things you can/should do:

4) The reason the Blaster worm can do this is addressed in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026 where there is also a patch available to plug the security hole.

5) Finally, you can change the RPC recovery setting from 'Restart the computer' to 'Restart the service' by going to: Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services Double click on Remote Procedure Call (RPC) in the list and look on the Recovery tab.

#11 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:48 AM

great advice guys.....learnt something here - well done.
JTH

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:57 AM

You can also run various (for viruses and other malware) scans on the drive...from the other system you put the hard drive in momentarily, assuming that said system is protected.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users