Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 swtexas70

swtexas70

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:24 PM

This is my first post to the site. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me. I am running XP Home SP2 on a Dell Dimension 2350--Pentium IV and 256 MB RAM.

The computer has gotten very slow; it used to be very fast. I have the following programs downloaded and running in terms of spyware, etc. 1. Norton 360 2. AVG virus free edition 3. AVG Spyware 4. Ad-aware 2007 5. SpyBot Search and Destroy.

In an attempt to clean the computer, I have downloaded the following programs and run them: 1. Uniblue Spyeraser 2. Uniblue Registry Cleaner, and 3. Uniblue Speed Up.

My internet and e-mail are supplied by AOL v 9.0.

Even after running the programs and cleaning the registry, the spyware programs, and the speed up program, the machine is very slow.

HELP, please, and thanks.

swtexas70

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:16 PM

You have too many security programs running. You also have two antivirus programs which will cause problems. Suggest you uninstall AVG Antivirus. If you have the teatimer enabled in Spybot S&D, stop any other antispyware you have from starting at startup.
Lay off of the registry cleaning and tuneup. I would uninstall all of Uniblue.
Let us know if doing the above improved your computer.
Cleaning out the temporary files, cookies, etc. and defragmenting may help, too, if you haven't done it lately.
256mb of ram is borderline with XP OS. You might want to consider doubling it.
Are you on dialup?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 swtexas70

swtexas70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:26 PM

Most of the antivirus programs and spyware programs were added only to try to clean up the computer. I will be happy to remove the uniblue programs--I may even be able to get my money back.

I suspected that the 256 may be borderline with XP.

The AOL is a broadband connection through a att dsl program. When I go to explore, it is amazing how much stuff AOL has put on the the computer.

I will follow your suggestions, and I hope that it will help the situation.

Thanks,

swtexas70

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,001 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:41 PM

AOL was my first ISP. It was fun at first with all the cute things you could do within email and such. It was ad heavy though and today it is even more of an ad platform. I saw recently that they have purchased one of the larger ad companies. Yeah, you probably have close to 50mb's of AOL software on your computer.
The ISP I have now for cable connection is small and did not install ANY software on my computer.
Make sure AVG is completely shut down before attempting to uninstall. That goes for any other program, too. You can be sure of that by running the uninstalls in safe mode. Here is a link if you need it.
How to Start Windows in Safe Mode:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:37 PM

As buddy215 mentioned, part of your slowdown can also be attributed to the 256MB of RAM.
I consider 512MB to be a minimum for XP; 1GB if you can afford it, would be even better.
If you were to, at least, double the RAM you have installed, you would notice a significant performance increase.

Also, read this topic, Slow Computer?, for some more tips on increasing your computer's performance.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 swtexas70

swtexas70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:37 AM

I have removed all of the excess programs, and the computer is still slow. I believe now, as both of you do, that I will have to increase memory. Do either of you have a suggestion as to the "brand" of memory that I should get. I plan on going to Fry's this afternoon and getting the memory to install.

Thanks,

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:02 AM

I suggest either Crucial, Kingston, or Corsair.

Whatever you do, don't buy "cheap" RAM.
This is one area where it's definitely, "You get, what you pay for".
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,001 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:20 AM

The link below has Crucial's suggestion for the Dell Dimension 2350
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...ion+2350+Series

#9 swtexas70

swtexas70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:05 PM

Hey folks,

Getting rid of all of the excess virus protection, etc. helped. And, now that I have dropped the new memory (all brand names, thanks tg1911), the computer is running better than it did when it was new.

I appreciate all of the help that you have given me.

Thanks again,

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:54 AM

You're welcome, swtexas70.
Glad we were able to help you out.

That additional RAM does make a difference, doesn't it? :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users