Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About System Restore

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Athene

Athene

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:21 PM

Hello everyone,
I am too new at this to take anything for granted
so here goes
I followed the directions on Stinger about turning off System Restore in XP. It said I would be prompted to restart, but it didn't.
This probably means nothing, but I want to make sure since I'm having a nasty problem and do not want to make it worse.

I've scanned with all the recommended software and the scans were clean.

The problem I'm having is when I click on a link, either in an email or on many sites, windows start opening rapidly--last count was 53 of them.

Annie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:03 PM

Might be a good time to install another browser if IE is the only one you have.
Firefox would be a good one. http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
Here is a link for BC's tutorial on System Restore.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-xp-system-restore-guide/

The scans you have done--was that the ones recommended before posting a Hijack This log? If it is, I recommend you post the log in the Hijack This forum. Sounds like you could have a malware problem.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Athene

Athene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:14 PM

thanks, Buddy!

the scans were the recommended ones. I'll read the tutorial and convince myself that I can use another browser...I've been using IE for decades.

Should I do the Hijack log first and then go to Firefox? My thinking is that I may take any malware with me if I do it first

I offer my apology for my originial post going to the wrong forum.

Annie

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,612 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:45 PM

The reason I suggested Firefox is because you are having a problem NOW using IE. No guarantee you want have the same problems but I have seen many times Firefox working and IE not.
Be sure to post the Hijack This log in the Hijack This forum. Not in this one.
Good luck to ya

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Athene

Athene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:24 PM

thanks!

I don't know if I should post this here so I am sorry if I did wrong.
Just wanted to say I will be back in a few days--i'm not a hit and run so to speak.

four pit bull puppies from next door bit me and I am on some powerful painkillers...which means I am flying high.
I don't think it's a good idea to work on my system in this state.

I'll redo all scans, etc then post the log.

Thank you very much,
Annie

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,612 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:50 PM

Your next door neighbor---last name Vick?
Personally, I think ALL pit bulls should be done away with. Hope you get well soon and your neighbor has a lot of insurance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users