Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recycle Bin - Won't Empty!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MelanieDawn

MelanieDawn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 29 January 2005 - 10:56 AM

Hi my name is Melanie and I'm new here. I found this site trying to find out what is wrong with my Recycle bin.

Okay, on my desktop it shows there is trash in the bin. I open it, there is nothing there. But I click "Empty Recycle bin" and it says "Are you sure you want to delete these 23 items?" I say yes. It makes a sound like it is emptying, but when I close it, the desktop bin still shows trash in there. I open it again, still nothing there... click empty again and says the same thing. Does the same thing over and over.

I then deleted more documents to see if that would get it working, but it didn't It still shows trash on the desktop, but when opened... nothing is there. And the number 23 doesn't change... (which it should have ofcourse since I deleted more items)... and still won't empty.

I don't know a whole lot about computers, but I have run Ad-Aware, deleted all my temp files and cookies, ran virus scan, and defragmented my computer hoping that would work, but nothing!

Someone please help me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2005 - 01:28 PM

Try this:

Repair the Recycle bin:
Click Start, Run and type cmd. Press OK.

A DOS window will open.

Type the following and then press Enter after typing each one:

attrib -h -s c:\recycler

del c:\recycler

Close the window and REBOOT.

Check if the Recycle Bin is OK. Please report back.

#3 MelanieDawn

MelanieDawn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2005 - 02:42 PM

It worked! But it only showed the orignal "23 items"... so what happened to all the other stuff I deleted after those 23 items?

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2005 - 05:38 PM

Not sure to be honest...they have been automatically deleted off the machine due to the corruption

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users