Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Q6600 Vs E6850...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 benny269

benny269

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:59 PM

The ongoing battle between top-ranked, equally-priced CPUs from Intel: Quad core Q6600 vs Dual core E6850. Correct me if I'm wrong but bottom line seems to be this - for the current situation, quad core is only superior if used for video encoding and 3D rendering, otherwise dual core wins.

Obviously with regards to future-proofing you would assume the greater the number of cores the better. However the dual core currently performs better for more general everyday tasks as most of these are single or dual threaded right?

Now on a number of forums/sites I've read that OC-ing the Q6600 is not hard. So this leads me to think of 2 questions:
  • For a first-timer, how easy/hard is it to overclock the Q6600 using air cooling only? i.e. is there straightforward instructions to follow that could get stable results?
  • Assuming the Q6600 was OC'd to 3.0 Ghz (same as the E6850), would it perform equal to/better than the dual core CPU in tasks where the E6850 would otherwise normally be better?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:14 PM

from what I have read the quad cores have real heat issues, even clocked at stock when all 4 cores get cranking, and that keeps you from overclocking very much at all

you would need a premium heatsinkfan or H2O to handle that extra heat, it only makes sense that 6Ghz is going to create a lot less heat than 11Ghz

the dual cores overclock a lot better
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:10 AM

You're betting on the future of the marketplace here - while quad cores may be limited in the programs that they can use at present, this is the same justification used for dual cores not very long ago. As quad cores become more available, more will be written for them, so more applications will become available that take the extra cores into account.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:54 PM

I do understand what you are saying, usasma, and in the future no doubt 4 cores will be proven better than 2 but what I'm trying to understand is the difference in the performance in these 2 chips based on what they will be used for today as can be seen here.

These benchmarks show that mainly for video encoding & 3D rendering - tasks where more of the 4 cores are useful - the Q6600 is better as expected. But the dual core performs better in other tasks. The bit I don't understand is why a simpler task can be managed better by 2 cores instead of 4. Bottom line: what is the reason for the dual-core outperforming the quad-core in certain tasks.

Also, if the Q6600 were OC'd to 3 Ghz same as the E6850, would it then match the dual core performance where it couldn't before?

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:08 PM

The best bang for your buck today is a dual-core rather than a quad-core. But that may change tomorrow= and what if it's your favorite app that's changed (and it's performance is almost doubled)?

The dual core is better for some tasks because the folks who wrote the programs optimized them for dual cores. Quad cores weren't available until recently, so it's not surprising that there isn't much available that's optimized for them. But the 2 core processors weren't that common not too long ago - and look at the leaps that have benn made with them in a very short time.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:12 PM

Ah optimisation eh? (n00b, sorry) Ok so are you saying you think I should go for the quad as its the wave of the future? While it may be beaten a little marginally in some areas now, pretty soon everything will be optimised for quads right?

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:14 AM

The Million Dollar Question: Dual or Quad Core for the Same Price?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:45 AM

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 for the price is the best buy and has a lot more potential for overclocking

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=18...p;postcount=152
quad core overclocked
too hot so later he got the GO stepping dual core
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=18...p;postcount=183

Edited by DaChew, 30 July 2007 - 08:52 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:39 AM

I believe that a quad core will meet your needs for a longer period of time than a dual core will - but this is a "balancing act" where you want to get the most for your money both now and in the future. So you'll be the best one to say where you want to be in a year or two from now.

To answer your question exactly...Yes, in my opinion, pretty soon everything will be quad-core optimized. But this is only my opinion, and you may find differing opinions throughout the internet.

I've also predicted that the 64 bit OS's will be the wave of the future (started this as soon as 32 bit computing started) - and that one is fighting me right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users