Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Usage?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:42 PM

Since a gig is wasted with 32 bit XP or Vista, I wonder how much only using 2 gigs with vista will slow or impede other heavy duty programs that are ram hungry. With dual core or even quad core and multithreaded video encoding apps is there enough ram available in a 2 gig computer running vista?

Has anyone ever tested a dual boot machine with 2 gigs?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:08 AM

I haven't done it, but I have run 2gB on Vista with XP in a Virtual Machine (without any issues). I'd suspect that this would be dependent upon which programs and how much RAM they actually took up. With 72 processes running, I'm using about 1.4 gB of RAM currently (on my 4gB system).

With XP you can get along with 512 mB, but 1 gB is (IMO) a better option for a mature copy of the OS. The benefit of the extra memory is that you don't have to worry about each little thing that's added to your system - so periodic maintenance is less intensive with 1 gB than it is with 512 mB. FWIW - There's still a bunch of people out there using 256 mB on their XP systems!

I'm starting to suspect that Vista will suffer from the same "bloat" as XP - but that the numbers are higher (depending upon the version). Home Basic works fine out of the box with 512 mB, but add a few programs and watch it slow down rapidly. 1 gB will help this, but the speed with which the slowdown occurs makes me suspect that it won't stop with 1 gB - and that 2 gB will be necessary for long term use (at acceptable speeds).

Unfortunately, there's not much anyplace to go after this. You can upgrade to 3 or 4 gB - then you're stuck by the 32 bit OS limit. So, I'd suspect that 64 bit OS's are the future for everyone within the next 5 to 10 years.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:48 AM

thanks John,

I have stayed away from vista, my best machine is getting quite "long in the tooth". When I built it 18 months ago with a single core cpu it was quite fast, due to my overclock and the high price of ram I ended up doing a lot of testing and found for video encoding that 512 megs of pc500/cas2.5 ram actually was faster than 1024 of pc400/cas2

I have to run lean and mean and keep 300 megs free

hopefully 64 bit will take off a little quicker
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users