Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Long Should P.c Last

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:33 PM

what i was wondering is how long have you had your p.c mine is now six years old, although i did change my harddrive 2 years ago(due to spontanious combustion)i am now wondering if i need to have arthur negus do an appraisal on it.
plus which i am looking for a new p.c and a laptop(both have to be top of the range)

can you let me no your p.c age and any advice on what i should buy next :thumbsup:
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:43 PM

My laptop is about 8 months old. Prior to that, I had a windows 2000 desktop with 766mhz cpu (lolz) that was probably about 8 years old. If you're wondering what kind of new computer you want, you have to first figure out what you plan on using it for, and how much money you plan on spending.
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

#3 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:37 PM

Well my computer is 10 years old. It originally ran Win95. It has a Intel Pentium II 333Mhz but it is runing XP since I've done a major overhaul on it. New Video card yesterday, 358Mb RAM, 2-6Gb HD, 30Gb external HD, and Runs XP Professional and Xandros Home Premium 4.0.

As was said above. What you will spend and what it will be used for.

Edited by need TOS, 28 July 2007 - 11:37 PM.

Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:53 PM

The laptop is 8 years old (Dell C600), and the Desktop is 3 years old (it was almost top of the line when I bought it and it gets reworked often).

What I like to do when buying a new PC is find one that is almost stripped but has the ability to be upgraded constantly (in other words top of the line motherboard and base hard Drive)
Example My Desktop:
512 MB DDR2 RAM - motherboard will support up to 4 GB
A64 3000+ 939 processor - with a BIOS upgrade from MSI I can support the latest 939 Dual Core AMD's
3 PCI slots and 1 PCIe x16 slot - not dramatic amounts of expansion but more then I'll use with onboard LAN
1 DVD +-RW - switched the case and added another CD-RW
200GB HDD - was the biggest I could find at the time and Ive added another internal and a couple external Hot swap drives (all have differant OS's on them)

Posted Image

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:38 AM

Ten years you should be able to get out of the hardware. The exception is the mechanical part, the hard drives and fans. Depending on the environment the PSU might also give it up earlier. After ten years it'll be hairier. Most components are designed with a lifetime somewhere between 10-15 years. Now whether the computer is obsolete after ten years can be discussed.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:48 AM

You can expect most computers to last at least 5-8 years---longer if you upgrade individual pieces of hardware as needed. However, as software and operating system requirements become more demanding, at some point in time you are probably going to need to either build or buy a new computer, especially if the computer is used for more than just basic operations.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:50 AM

I have a 10 year old box running Ubuntu. Replaced the CD drive and floppy drive (broke) and power supply (no reason) I did completely disassemble it and added a few heatsinks and a heatsink fan (didn't have one) I'm waiting for the old ISA video card to crap out so I can replace it
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users