Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Build Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 The_Red

The_Red

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:54 PM

I've decided to put together a credible gaming PC which consists of:

Intel Quad Core Kentsfield 2.4Ghz Q6600 CPU
XFX nForce 680i LT SLI Socket 775 Motherboard
EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card
Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails
SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe and Software Black IDE Model SH-S182M/BEBM
Thermaltake CL-P0401 110mm Full-Range Fan CPU Cooler
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
SAMSUNG 906BW Black 19" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor

I am having a few issues. One is that my GPU is not sending any signal to my monitor. It is connected by a DVI cable that I know works; I've taken a PCI card that has a VGA connection and inserted to find my monitor will display a picture. I have also tried changing the port that it is in to see if that changes anything and nothing differed. My other problem is that my computer upon start up will flash up to the POST screen and then power off, this leaves my computer on for about 15 secs before it turns off. I've checked the connections, then tried minimizing the load, and I switched the channels that the memory was sitting in. I'd like to note that upon startup everything seems to be getting power, all of my eight fans turn on, all LEDs illuminate before everything turns off. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:01 PM

Just double checking, you do have the power plugged into the PCI-Express vid. card, correct? You said you see the post screen. Do you hear the POST beep? The board could possibly be shorting out on the frame. The best thing to do is put the board on the bench with the minimum stuff hooked up and then add things one at a time
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:53 PM

Oh, my friend had a similar problem with his computer. His new computer build would turn off after a few seconds of being on. It was that his processor was overheating. He took the thermal paste off and put on some new. This made his processor temp go from 70 degree's celsius down to 29 celsius when he turned it on.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:14 AM

My wife's new system would behave the same way - turned out the heatsink fasteners weren't on securely (darned incompetent techs! Whoops! It was me! :thumbsup:

But, I'm concerned that you can't get a signal from your video card, so I'd also check the things that garmanma suggested
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 The_Red

The_Red
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:07 AM

My wife's new system would behave the same way - turned out the heatsink fasteners weren't on securely (darned incompetent techs! Whoops! It was me! :thumbsup:

But, I'm concerned that you can't get a signal from your video card, so I'd also check the things that garmanma suggested

Thanks Usama,

I reinstalled my fan and switched my memory and everything worked fine. I know I said in my intitail claim that "I" switched it but it was a misunderstanding between my building parnter and I. But nevertheless everything works great. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users