Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying Monitor, Advice Needed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:41 PM

Hi, I'm fed up going crosseyed trying to see stuff on my 6-yr-old 17" monitor screen, so am going to buy a bigger one next week and would welcome any advice as I'm chronically PC-illiterate and therefore at the mercy of "lets milk the mug dry" dealers..
Firstly, is 26" the biggest, that's what I'd like?
What sort of price range are they? ( I don't want anything fancy)
Or should I consider a cheaper second-hand job? Again, what sort of price would you say is reasonable?
Whatever I buy, I just plug it straight into my PC right? Or do I have to load new monitor software and juggle settings etc?
I'm Win XP Home
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:51 PM

Actually, I would find out the maximum resolution and color depth that your video card supports. right click on an open area of your desktop, click properties, click the settings tab. If your video card does not support the monitor's maximum resolution, having a larger monitor may not improve anything, especially if you are getting a lcd monitor. Make sure that the monitor supports DVI and VGA, and also comes with the cable. WinXP should automatically detect your new monitor, and install it or ask you for the disk if needed.

as far as prices are concerned, it is hard for me to say what is good in the UK.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:35 PM

A 26" LCD comes in the $1000-$1500 price range. I believe the biggest monitors are 30". You can go bigger than that, up to 40"-50", by getting a HDTV and using it as a monitor. Or even bigger by doing like a buddy of mine and getting a projector and putting a screen on the wall and hooking that up to the computer.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:02 PM

In fact the only reason I need a bigger mon is so that I can read the text and see the graphics in 1024-minimum simulations and games, and a bigger screen is the only way to enlarge the graphics..
I'm fine with good old 800x600, but a lot of newer stuff only runs in 1024 and is near-impossible to read, like looking down the wrong end of a telescope..

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:20 AM

I use a 32" Sharp Aquos TV as my monitor (because of vision problems) and it works just fine. I cannot see the entire POST screen when the PC boots, but believe that's because I'm using the HDMI input rather than the VGA one (and am too lazy to mess with it). Most TV's these days will have an input for the PC. I believe that 32" is the biggest that you can use at normal viewing distance (2 -3 feet) - but that's just my opinion.

As for what's best, the determining factor should be your eyes, Go to the local computer store/TV store and check out what they've got on display. If the prices are too steep, write the make & model numbers down and see if you can find a cheaper price elsewhere.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:53 AM

You will probably be able to find a 25-32 inch hdtv online at around 500 - 700 dollars. I would think they would work fine for your needs. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-SK-32H2...298&sr=1-22

Just so you know, with this you would also need a dvi --> hdmi cable, which can be bought pretty cheaply wholesale online. Try cablewholesale.com, I recently bought a 50 foot dvi --> hdmi cable there for around 50 dollars, great quality and makes the run perfectly.

(cable link) http://www.cablewholesale.com/catalog/hdmianddvicable.htm

Edited by T, 29 July 2007 - 10:55 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users