Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Premium + Limited Memory?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Swift01

Swift01

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:54 AM

A friend of mine said that if I have Windows Vista Home Premium (which I just got today and I installed 3gb total ram in it) that only 2048mb of ram would be visible to Vista.

Any confirmations? Everywhere I check it says I have 3gb of ram, though when using FreeRamXPPro it tells me 2047mb of ram is free. Shouldn't it be 2047mb? I checked my processes and totalled it does not exceed 1gb...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:58 AM

The limit for a 32-bit Windows is around 3.3 GB, so you should be fine. But, due to the way Windows is designed, only 2 GB is available to any one program.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Swift01

Swift01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:11 PM

Ooh okay. Is there a way to alter that so I can have accurate information to how much ram I'm using? Can I edit how much gb ram a program can have?

Edited by Swift01, 28 July 2007 - 12:15 PM.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:52 PM

I'm not entirely sure, but the 2GB limit per program is 32-bit specific with Vista.

3939.png

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 04:06 AM

The 2GB memory limit comes from how Windows deals with address space. With a 32-bit system you have 4GB of address space. Windows splits this in half, 2GB for applications and 2GB for the Windows Kernel. You can change how this is split with the
BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva {user address space size in MB}
command in a command prompt. I increased it to 2900 on my machine. Note should be made that if the drivers and stuff that uses the kernel address space will crash, and BSOD the machine, if they run out of address space.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users