Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to make a start up disk win me

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 myzr

myzr

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 29 January 2005 - 09:41 AM

I would like to edit my registry. so i have been reading up on backing it up. one thing that was in the instructions was to have a boot disk made in case you needed to restore your back up. I insert the floppy into the drive and it says can't find a file needed.put in win me disk, but in the space for the path is d win 98. and when I do insert disk it runs for aways then about 16% done it hangs again wanting another file. my ? is .. can I find theese files I need online somewhere as they don't seem to be in my win me or my win 98 upgrade cd,s.. I am running an amdk6 500mgs with 120mgs ram 4ghd built by an shadetree mom and pop that is now in the wind. the cds are burns and seem to be missing some files.
lm 10730

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2005 - 11:41 AM

Hi myzr.. You can download boot disk here :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#3 myzr

myzr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2005 - 05:20 PM

Notorious.. thanks for doing the leg work on this. I am working the weekend so feedback maybe slow. I will post my progress with my adventure into the REGISTRY.
lm 10730

#4 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2005 - 08:24 PM

Notorious.. thanks for doing the leg work on this. I am working the weekend so feedback maybe slow. I will post my progress with my adventure into the REGISTRY.

Just make sure you have backup before you make any changes in your registry.. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#5 myzr

myzr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2005 - 06:45 PM

problems .. I downloaded the me-boot file to download folder.. placed floppy in drive and opened the file as per inst. seem to be writing to floppy just fine till reaching a point where it stops and has an error pop up disk head 58 is damaged. have tried several floppy's have reformatted floppy's have re-downloaded files. when I put the uncompleted disk in the a drive and click on props it says that the disk is full. however the file I have downloaded from boot disk.com says that it is only 684 KB.the floppy says that it is1.38mg how do I know if I have all the files I need loaded on my floppy? can I go ahead and try to start up with this floppy and see if it will give me the restore registry option. and then? I have not changed anything in my reg. I have just backed up what I have now.
lm 10730

#6 delta dart

delta dart

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2005 - 12:58 AM

Myzr
Win 98 has 4 backup copies of the registery already stored in the
C:\windows\Sysbckup folder. They are labeled rb000 thru rb004. Look them up in explorer.
Go to the microsoft help and support site http://www.support.microsoft.com/ and look up knowledge base article Q221512. This will explain how to restore the registery manually. It works well. I have used it often succesfully. You do need a 98 boot disk though to accomplish this.
Russ :thumbsup:

Edited by delta dart, 03 February 2005 - 01:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users