Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changes To Firefox.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:37 AM

Hi,
I just switched my computer on after being away all day and when I loaded Firefox it looked different, had Google as a home page(I use blank page) and all my bookmarks are gone. Can someone direct me to where the Firefox profiles are stored please so I might be able to get my bookmarks back.
I have an old backup with some of them but all the current ones are gone including all the stuff I used to build my website.
I guess I can find it all again---but if I don't have to?

I am always reading about people having trouble with their computers when I don't (up till now) ever have trouble. Maybe I spoke too soon.

It was all working perfectly when I shut down and went to bed last night. The only thing I did differently was shut down using the power switch instead of the "Start" button. Would this have something to do with this problem?

Thanks for any help and advice.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 news4la

news4la

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:47 AM

Hi Jim

It's not a good idea to do a forced shutdown which is what happens when you hit the power button. It leaves alot of programs not closed and in limbo because they were not given any instructions what to do. That is why the start button has a program for shutdown and reset. It logs you out and closes all programs in a logical manner. If you get a freeze it is best to use File/Alt/Del so that the unit knows what to do. If you have any more questions come back were happy to help. :thumbsup:

On AIR,On LINE,On THE GO!

#3 wildchild2

wildchild2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:55 AM

Thanks for the reply. I now know that it was my fault losing my bookmarks by doing it that way. I was in a hurry last night to shut down.
I have learnt my lesson, last nights "hurry" just cost me 2 hours mucking about trying to fix it.
I even managed to find my bookmarks backup after I realised it was a hidden folder.

Thanks again.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#4 wildchild2

wildchild2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:09 AM

news4la, thanks for replying. I just realised it was you who emailed me from my website.
And thank you for the compliment.
:thumbsup:
Posted Image

#5 news4la

news4la

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:14 AM

Your welcome :thumbsup:
On AIR,On LINE,On THE GO!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users