Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidentally Deleted All Clsid From Registry

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Billermo

Billermo

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 03:19 AM

I was following steps to remove some adware, went into the Registry using Regedit and forgot the #1 rule about deleting anything out of the Registry, to not do anything you're not totally sure about, and be careful.

Well, where the directions I was following told me to delete certain entries under the CLSID folder, I did it too fast and instead deleted the entire folder.

Immediately I tried to go find any kind of Undelete inside Regedit but of course there's no such thing in that program. (if ever there was a program that needs it, this is the one) My trash can on the desktop was also empty, so it didn't go there. I tried to go to System Restore but it's not working now, in fact many items in Control Panel are listed as Folder or just have no name at all anymore.

I tried to navigate Internet Explorer to go to a webpage to find help and it's no longer able to open web pages. I'm using another computer now to post this question.

Just to be 100% clear, the folder I deleted was:

HKEY_CLASSSES_ROOT\CLSID\

Not sure what I can do. Hoping this isn't the total disaster I fear it is.

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do, or what needs to be done now.

Thank you very much.

Fingers crossed here, and saying some prayers.

Edited by Billermo, 28 July 2007 - 03:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:37 AM

Try doing a System Restore to a point before you deleted the CLSID folder.

Windows XP System Restore Guide
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 08:19 AM

FWIW - the number one rule is to backup before you delete anything - just in case it "goes south" like this did. Then, a simple double-click could have restored all that was deleted.

System Restore is your best bet at this point, but post back if it doesn't work.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:07 AM

I tried to go to System Restore through the Control Panel, where it's not available, and also through Programs, Accessories, System Tools. I click on it there and nothing happens.

Is there some other way I can try to access it?

Edited by Billermo, 28 July 2007 - 11:01 AM.

#5 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:16 AM

I have to add one more important detail.

Now Windows won't start. It gets as far as the blue screen that says Windows XP and goes no further.

When I posted the first time, it was before I'd shut down.

I've just tried booting into Safe Mode, and that is not working either. It stops at the same Windows XP blue screen.

I also tried booting into the Last Known Good Configuration choice in the Safe Mode start menu (black screen) and that also ends up at the same blue Windows XP screen, going no further than that.

Finally, I also tried the Safe Mode with Command Prompt choice, which also has the same result, going no further than the blue Windows XP screen.

Edited by Billermo, 28 July 2007 - 11:04 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:06 AM

You can try also try System Restore through the command prompt, or you an try it from the Recovery Console or a PE environment.

If you can access Safe Mode with command prompt try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

Recovery Console or a PE environment: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;307545

Edited by usasma, 28 July 2007 - 11:07 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:29 PM

OK thanks very much for the help. I'm stuck again, unfortunately.

I can not access Safe Mode with Command Prompt. I tried that earlier, it was one of the things I'd tried and mentioned in my previous post. WHen I tried that, it resulted in the same Windows XP blue screen (2 shades of blue with the Windows XP logo on screen). That is always as far as I get in any of the Safe Mode choices. It stops there and won't go further.

Now about the other option, trying it from the Recovery Console or PE environment...

(I don't know what PE environment means, btw)

On the Microsoft page you sent me the link for, it says this:

Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist previously. If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives.

This is a Dell laptop and the Windows XP was installed by Dell. Does that mean I should not try this option?

If I should try it, that article gives 2 different ways: 1. Guided Help and 2. Manual Steps

I have gone ahead in Manual Steps, and am stuck at Step 5:

5. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:
md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

The first set of copy commands worked ok. The second set of delete commands seemed to work ok (there was no reply from the computer that the files were deleted, as there was when the other files copied - not sure if that means anything). When I started the next set of copying, the first one for 'system' did not work. I got a message 'The system cannot find the file specified.' The rest of the files did copy successfully, and I saw a message confirming it. WHen I next hit Exit to reboot (as according to the instructions), I eventually got a message on black screen that 'Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system'

If I understand correctly, it seems as if the system file in the repair directory is not there for some reason, so can't be copied to replace the previous system file we deleted, is that right?

Is there still some hope in this situation? What are my chances?

THanks again for the help with this one. Fingers still crossed.

Edited by Billermo, 28 July 2007 - 01:26 PM.

#8 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 03:51 AM

OK I took the system.bak and copied that back to system, and tried to boot up in Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

It starts to boot up and then I get this message:

When trying to update a password, this return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct.

Windows startup just keeps looping and looping again, until it reaches this message on a gray Windows dialog box with black screen background, and then startup restarts again. And again. And again.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:50 AM

At this point I'd suggest a repair install of Windows XP using these instructions: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

#10 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:03 PM

Since you have a pre-installed version of XP (Dell) you have not been provided with an XP install disc. You may have either a "reinstall" disc or a BIOS program to accomplish the same thing. Dells usually have a reinstall disc. Now that I think of it, this disc is an option when you buy the system (usually around $10 and worth every penny). Not to worry - you can contact Dell and order this disc for your specific PC. Be sure to have the Service Tag number handy. It's printed on a sticker on the back panel of desktop systems and on the bottom side of laptops.

It seems the only phone number to get a live human there being is 1-800-915-3355. I wouldimagine that the operator there can direct you to the right department where you can order the reinstall disc.
There is a on-line "live chat" link to Technical Support. This may be your most direct way to contact them.
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...;l=en&s=dhs

Keep in mind that Dell OS restore wipes out any programs and files that you have put on the computer. It will return your PC to the state that you received it when it was bought. If you repartitions your disk with something like Acronis Disk Director or Partition Commander the resore will wipe that out thus deleting and files you had in new partitions.

If you want to back up your files before doing the reinstall I understand that the "Ultimate Boot CD for Windows" (UBCD4Windows) can provide you with the means to do a backup. UBCD4Windows is based on Bart's PE which, in turn, is based on the OEM XP OS installer disc CD. The catch is that to create this disc you must have an XP OEM install disc. However, UBCD can be purchased on-line suprisingly inexpensively.
http://www.ubcd4win.com/ordering.htm

BTW, PE stands for Windows Pre-install Environment. The XP OS installer from MS actually loads a basic version of XP that resides entirely within RAM and provides an operating system that the installer uses to install XP to your hard drive. Bart has cleverly used this OS and added utilities to it so that you are able to create a boot disc that loads and runs without the use of a hard drive. The UBCD takes Bart's PE and adds more freeware utilities to it to make it even more useful.

Tip: I understand that if you use the backup program in UBCD to copy files to an external USB drive then you must have that drive plugged in when UBCD loads in order for it to recognize the drive.

#11 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:16 PM

Whoops ! I need to restate the first line in my previous post:
Since you have a pre-installed version of XP (Dell) you have not been provided with an OEM XP install disc. This means that you cannot do perform a Repair Install. ...

Also, a ready-to-go UBCD4Win boot disc cannot be purchased legally since it relies on proprietary MS OEM XP installer program software. However, if you bought, begged or borrowed an OEM XP install disc then you can make the UBCD4Win disc using that. Any version of XP Home or Professional will do, SP0, SP1 or SP2.

The UBCD4Win purchase link is merely a gathering of Bart's PE and the extra freware utilities on a handy CD for your use in producing the UBCD4Win boot disc. You can download the very same files for free from that site and accomplish the same thing. Follow the instructions closely.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:48 PM

Quite a few Dells come with an OS CD, and they can usually be coaxed to run a repair install fairly easily. Also, there's lot's of references to repair installs of XP on the Dell Support website.

If you don't have the disks, you can order them from Dell, or you may be able to use the OS disk from a friend as long as it's the same version of XP (Pro, Home, or Media Center).

#13 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:54 AM

OK I actually do have the XP CD, I did think to get that just in case of this kind of situation when I ordered the Dell.

Looking at the CD, it is the Reinstallation DVD for XP Media Center Versiojn 2005 with Update Rollup 2.

It says it is for OS only, doesn't include programs or drivers. Hm. That's not good.

I'm not sure of the main idea of what I should be trying to do now. Am I trying to repair what is on there now, or am I reinstalling Windows?

Of course there's the question of saving files, programs and drivers that are already on the computer, so in scenario #1 (repair) or #2 (reinstall), what will happen to those?

I suspect taht by deleting that CLSID directory in the Registry, that I basically made many or most or all of the programs, drivers, etc. inoperable. That seemed to be the case when I was trying to access them before shutting down the computer after the accident. For example, many items in Control Panel couldn't be opened, icons disappeared. System Restore couldn't be accessed. Internet Explorer couldn't navigate to any webpages. Firefox could not be opened (I tried to see if I could use that browser to access online information about undoing the deletion from the registry).

If we know that deleting CLSID has already destroyed most of the installed programs, so they can't be recovered, then it might mean that there's not much point repairing only Windows since everything in there would be wrecked. However, if it was possible to repair Windows so that I could go in and do a successful System Restore to a previous point before I screwed up the Registry, then that would make sense to try to do.

So which of these should I be trying to do here? I follow the details, but it's the big picture I'm fuzzy on.

There are some things about the Ultimate Boot CD backup plan that I don't get: is it possible to create a backup even if you can't get Windows to boot? And would I need a USB drive (that means an external hard drive, right?) to do that backup? The hard drive in the laptop is 80GB, does it mean I need about 80GB of space to do the backup?

But my big question at this point is, is it still possible to repair the laptop so that I don't need to be reinstalling all the software and drivers, and not lose the documents that are on there? Because if I've lost that battle already, then it seems as if just reinstalling Windows and downloading all the software and drivers is going to be much less hassle. But if doing an eventual System Restore is still do-able, then that would seem to be the way to go. Or is that option totally dead at this point?

Thanks very much for the assistance on this one, again.

#14 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:03 AM

I have used several dell os dvds for a repair install of XP, the disc runs like a regular OEM cd, and has one additional feature: it checks for the Dell Identifiers in the bios(the express service code and the service tag). on your machine, treat it exactly like an OEM cd, and run the repair install. the drivers should already be located in the C:\DELL\RXXXXXXX folder. The exact same drivers can be downloaded from dell's web site if you look in drivers/downloads by the service tag number.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#15 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:36 PM

Since you have the Reinstall CD a repair install is out of the question. Don't worry about losing your drivers - they are contained on the CD, which is specific for your model. Besides, Media Center is only distributed with specific computers so borrowing that version will likely be impossible to find.

To prepare for the reinstall you should consider backing up any files you want to save beforehand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users