Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tv Works, But Has No Sound

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Reider

Reider

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:44 PM

Hello computer experts,

I recently purchased a new computer (OS: XP home) with a TV wonder card so I can watch tv on my computer. The only problem is that there is no sound when I turn the tv on. Sound comes through the speakers just fine when I play music (e.g. windows media player) or watch DVD's, but not with the tv.

I called the store I purchased it from & the technician told me that there was a short cord I had to hook up on the back of my computer and the sound should work. Apparently it worked at the store before I took it home. The short cord has a blue end & a green end. The green goes into the green input of the tv wonder card, & the blue end goes in the output of the sound card (iirc). Either way, I matched the colours up and I still cannot get the sound to work.

Things already checked:

- Wiring in the back of the computer to make sure everything is plugged in snug/properly
- Drivers (are all updated)
- Sound options on my computer, nothing is muted from what I can tell?
- Catalyst Media Center (the program for the tv): I set it up normally, checked the audio options & made sure the tv was not muted
- Trouble shooting options: I went through these and still had no luck

The odd thing: When I am watching TV (with no sound), and listening to music (windows media player), if I increase or decrease the volume on the tv, the volume of the music in the windows media player increases/decreases accordingly and there is still no sound from the tv, just a picture.

Basically I am all out of idea's and do not have a clue what is wrong. Apparently it worked in the store so I must not be doing something correctly. If anybody has any input, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

- Reider

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:20 AM

If that cord goes from the capture card to your sound device, i would first check that your microphone/aux-in in the windows system tray or your sound driver software to make sure it is not muted or you sound is up high enough. Also maybe check that that cord has no shorts and/or try a different cord.

If you have the AC97 onboard sound, I know that you can configure the audio ports to do anything. Example is that if you have 5.1 surround sound speakers, you can configure the green port to be the front speakers, the blue port to be the back speakers, and red port to be the microphone. If thats the case, then the blue port you are putting it into is also transmitting data instead of importing the aux-in data that you need. Check the control panel to configure it so the blue port is aux-in. You can test to make sure that your TV card is transmitting any audio data at all and plug the blue end into the red microphone port and see if you hear any audio when you record.

And the reason your TV program changes all the volume is because it just links to the windows volume control panel. I think it is doing the same thing as if you clicked on the speaker in your system tray and and changed the volume that way. Wouldn't worry about it.

Hope this helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users