Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Working With Virtualized Files.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bratty burnette

bratty burnette

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:22 PM

Hey,

I save pages off of the internet (I trust the site) and now I can't seem to get them to the printer. I know they go into a virtualized file. When I tried to move the files, I kept getting a prompt for permission. I am the adminsitor but it still wouldn't let me move them. I know they are there because I found them, I have a unique way of finding them. I redo the process of saving them again. When I get the prompt that it already exists I choose to replace the original. Then I choose to open the temporary file (I can't find them with search).

I finally was able to move them and now I can't find them. I have done this before with no problem.

I hope someone knows what to do. Or maybe it will do what other problems do and just suddenly start cooperating again (I can hope.)

Thank you.

Donna

I WIIL NOT BE DEFEATED!!! I WILL GO CRAZY FIRST!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bratty burnette

bratty burnette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:49 PM

Hi,

My problem is even worse than I thoght. Now, when I save a file off of the website open 'virtualized ' file, there is nothing there. Apparently when I moved my files, I dropped it is a black hole. folder and all. Can someone tell me how to find the files that i lost? I didn't delete them, I just can't find the

I check this forum several times a day because for some reason I am not getting email notifications.

Thanks,

Donna

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:32 AM

How do you save the files?
What browser are you using?
Where do you save the files to?
Do you save them before printing, or do you print them from the Print command in your browser?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 bratty burnette

bratty burnette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:31 PM

Hi John,

I save my web pages with a 'save' button Provided on the site. It saves them on my hard drive under Donna > Documents as as a .JPG fo;e (they are documents). When I click on save in this window, I get a message saying that my file was saved in a temporary file for security reasons. It asks me if I want to open the folder or not. Upon opening the file it is in a virtualized file.

I am using IE7.

The reason I save them is because they are scanned documents and there is usally a lot of black around the image. I crop them before printing to save ink.

Thank you,

Donna

I won't go down without a fight.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:29 AM

I suspect that this is happening because it's saving to a Temporary folder. Temporary folders are, by nature, temporary - and there's many different ways to empty them without your intervention.

Can you change where it saves them to? If not, then when it prompts you to open the folder, just right click on the image and select "Send To" and send it to your Documents folder. It won't disappear from there! In order to find the missing documents, you'll have to search your hard drive for Pictures and then wade through the results to locate the missing items.

Edited by usasma, 30 July 2007 - 05:31 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 bratty burnette

bratty burnette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:57 PM

The only way to avoid the 'virtualized' files is to turn off UAC and I don't want to do that. (I have a big enough mess without having an intruder). I will try your idea and see what I can do.

Thanks,

Donna

#7 bratty burnette

bratty burnette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:18 PM

An update. I finaly found the missing files. Since they came off of the inernet, they are stored in a file that cannot be opened unless IE is open. I have no experience in saving files in this manner. Even when I move them or use the send to command, The file and path do not change (Does anyone know how to change that?)

I can hardly wait for the next problem.

#8 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 06:06 PM

Try typing Shadow Copy in the 'start search' box...see if some of your saved documents might be found that way. Create a new folder (name it and then add it to your 'send to' menu.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users