Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Security Scan

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dorokay

dorokay

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:13 PM

Hello, Hope someone can help me with this. I have a Dell win xp sp2 with IE6. I downloaded the Google Updater with Norton Security Scan and Spyware Dr. My system started slowing down a lot, so I decided to uninstall those two programs because they did not always open. Spyware Dr. would not uninstall with the add/remove program at first, but when I reinstalled it from the Spyware Dr. site, I got it to uninstall, but the Norton program just will not uninstall. I tried the Norton uninstall program, but that does nothing. I am still getting the same message when I try to uninstall, Installation terminated : Fatal error during installation. I went back to the Google updater and reinstalled that and tried again and got the same message. I have no idea what to do next. I just know I don't want to go into the registry myself. Hope someone can help me.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 28 July 2007 - 12:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:32 PM

Don't try to edit the registry, you should try the SymNrt utility, available here.

once you have downloaded to your preferred location, double click on the file and follow the onscreen instructions.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 dorokay

dorokay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:13 AM

I have used the Norton Removal Tool twice before and it does nothing. I did use your link to it again and tried again and the Norton Security Scan is still in place and when I tried to uninstall it again with the add/remove program, I got the same message. When the Tool says it has uninstalled the scan it gives me a choice of I believe 4 ways I installed the Scan, but none of them are for free use, so I don't know if I have to have them install it again to get rid of it or not, but I don't have a license key or a c.d. to use to reinstall the Scan, Can you help me with this, I mean as far as I can tell it has not been uninstalled, but the tool says it has, so I am at a loss. As you can tell, I am not a very literate computer person, so any answer has to be very self explanatory. Thanks, Dorothy

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 03:49 AM

Let me look up and find more information on this, it looks like I may have to take you through a manual removal, step by step.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:35 PM

Here is all that I find:

1 Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.

2 Click Add or Remove Programs.

3 Click Norton Security Scan, and then click Remove.

am asking others for an idea .

#6 dorokay

dorokay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:24 PM

Well, Oldf@rt, I am almost too embarressed to reply. I did go back to add/remove and instead of trying to remove it, I decided to hit change and see if it would repair itself. Well, it did and then I uninstalled it right away without any problems. I am so sorry to have taken up so much of your time for this problem. If I had only thought it through I could have solved it so much earlier. In my defence, I am totally unsure of myself on the computer so when anything out of the ordianry happens I get flustered and my mind just seems to hibernate. Thank you so much for your help. Without your last nudge, I probably would not have gone back to the add/remove program. Thanks again and I am definately not going to download as much beta programs as I used to. Dorothy

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:17 PM

No worries, we are here to help people, as we were all once noobs . I still suffer from CRS on a daily basis.

Thanks for replying that your issue has been solved. Unless you are fully confident in yourself, never try to run beta software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users