Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media Player For Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:31 PM

I recently went to totally Linux ( Ubuntu 7.04 ). All the other "basics" - internet connection, email, and printer are setup fine, however I've got a problem. I want to be able to play video clips/ movies such as I did with Windows. For lack of a better term - a program to emulate "Windows Media Player". I've tried a ton of stuff with no success.

Being new to Linux, I don't know what info you need to answer my question, so I thought I'd just start out with a simple post. I have the error messages written down that I got while trying to play a dvd movie if need be. Also, as of now, Totem pops up with a black screen when I try to play a movie. Any information to get me started here will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:39 PM

It would be helpful to actually post the error messages; otherwise why even bother posting? :thumbsup:

Have you checked out xine? I think for Ubunto it is: synaptic xine

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:51 PM

First off enable all the repositories in Ubuntu.

Then install the non-free codecs. Heres a how to from the Ubuntu Forums. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=413626

Alternately (although I suggest you enable all the repositories any way). Download [url="http://www.getautomatix.com/"] Automatix2[/quote], install, and then go to the multimedia section and install the Non-free codecs and plugins for Firefox.

Posted Image

#4 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:37 PM

Thank you very much, the gstreamer information got my multimedia working fine. Being new to Linux, all the different lingo can become confusing at times, so it's great to know that help is available here. I'm also getting some forums and newsletters saved for future reference.

Keith

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:14 PM

Ubuntu with Automatix2 is so far the easiest to use distro I found. PCLinuxOS is a close and closing second (although proprietary file types are supported automagicly I'm waiting for an app like Automatix for it, EasyRPM or EasyLinux forget what the name is, is coming though. Oh and their version of Synaptic is a jumble compared to Ubuntu's categorized version)

Posted Image

#6 thekingof7

thekingof7

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:55 PM

I always have preferred VLC, the codecs (including the NON-FREE ones) are written in the install, so dependencies are a thing of the past.

#7 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:23 AM

I could have swore I posted something about MPlayer....

Anyway, that's what I use for everything. Once you have all of the codecs downloaded, it is easily the most universal player in a linux environment.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#8 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

Thank you much for the information. Alot of options to experiment with.

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users