Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ace utilities and jv16 power tools

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 29 January 2005 - 07:21 AM

thought that I would post a question here regarding the above 2 programs. they were mentioned in the Calendar of Updates Forum which BC is an affiliate of.

i have looked at what is available on the net regarding them and am sort of leaning toward the purchase of Ace Utilities, however, it would be nice if I had some feedback from direct users.
This program to me from what I have read seems to offer a little more options and flexibiltiy in back up as well as zeroing in on duplicate files or specific files that may still be there after an uninstall.

Comments appreciated. Again getting either program is not a problem for me.
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 danidest

danidest

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2005 - 01:18 PM

Hi,
I've been using jv16 for years and it used to work fine, the "registy cleaner" was it's best feature , lately something is not working properly with the software and when you clean the registry you cannot start the defragmentation.
So I tried Ace and some features are nice, but the registry cleaning is not ad good as I was expecting.
In my opinion RegSuprem Pro from Macecraft is better, you have a backup folder for every feature the program offers, the cleaning comes in two ways (normal and deep) and it works fine.
By the way: Macecraft sells both Jv16 and RegSupreme.
Hope to have been of some help.
Bye.
Dani

#3 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2005 - 03:29 PM

Thx for the reply, I believe I will go with Reg Supreme , i have had it on trial and been pleased with its performance plus the fact that has a safety net backup.
i use the program after uninstalls and it looks like this one fits the bill.
It is always good to hear from actual users to get the comments on their experience.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond and give the specifics of your hands on use of the program. :thumbsup:

Edited by georgia, 02 February 2005 - 03:32 PM.

#4 gud4u

gud4u

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2005 - 12:37 PM

In default mode, registry cleaning with Ace Utilities will always return fewer suspect registry items than JV16, RegSeeker, RegClean and others. This is intentional - to prevent unintentional crippling of the system by removing a critical registry entry. In the Ace menu, you can change from 'default' to 'Expert' mode, for deeper cleaning of the registry.

Ace also omits any registry-search function - for the same reason.

I use Ace Utilities frequently for routine system maintenance. I particularly like it's 'Wizard' for one-button system cleaning of registry, history, junk files, etc.

I use the excellent freeware RegSeeker for registry-search and for deeper inspection of the registry.

Ace Utilities is an excellent combination of a program with excellent utility with excellent safety from potential system-crippling operation.

#5 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2005 - 12:07 AM

:thumbsup: thankyou for the analytical comments, it really helps when one is trying to make a decison.
Often times when one gets focused on a program, one can't see the forest for the trees and that is why i find forums like this extremely valuable.
There is nothing better than first hand experience.
Again :flowers: Members such as yourself are very valuable indeed!

#6 deaddybear

deaddybear

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 06:42 PM

Ace Utilities is excellent, even if you have just a basic understanding of what the Registry is and how it works. It's quite inexpensive too, if you buy it at a discount.
this is where I got mine from, but it was a limited time offer, don't know if they still sell it so absurdly cheap. You are welcome to check it out.
http://www.deprice.com/aceutilities.htm

#7 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2005 - 01:10 PM

Thanx for the comments on Ace Utilities, I was reviewing the features of the program and was wondering if you have to install all of them?

for example the Disk Analysis utility, startup organizer, Reg Cleaner....if one has other programs that do this job can one disable these features?

Also with this Reg Cleaner is there a backup feature in it as there is in Reg Supreme which you can use normal or deep clean??? and is there any indication of what items are identified as issues within the Registry, which items are priorities?

Thankyou

#8 danidest

danidest

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2005 - 02:52 PM

Hello,
yes reg cleaner has the back up utility as the other ones and it is a very good program but I wouldn't use it if your OP is Windows XP since is not compatible.
My advice is to try some of these programs and then keep and use one.
Bye.
Dani

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users