Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Spamming Popups

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Omi

Omi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:31 PM

Hi, recently--literally 1 week ago--my computer has started spamming popups at me slowing my system down to an incredible snail's pace as well as slightly altering the look of my desktop icons--these are normal junk popups but its happening anytime I open anything--like Outlook, internet, messenger services, etc and I have run everything from Norton Antivirus, to AVG Anti Spyware, Spyware Doctor, Bazooka, Lavasoft Ad-Aware, and webroot Spy Sweeper and it still has not gotten rid of this problem. I have also run these programs in safe mode and still its not fixed. I also followed that "Do you have popups or other malware infecting your computer" guide and I am still plagued by this popup annoyance. My system is getting slower and slower because of it. My computer is very old, but I havent had this problem until a week ago. I am not sure what happened to drastically cause this popup spam but it is wreaking havoc on my system. I currently run Windows XP Home Edition, have 564 MHz, and 256MB Ram. Again, it was working great until literally 1 week ago. Please help.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 27 July 2007 - 05:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:44 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer Omi. :thumbsup:

Can you explain the nature of the pop ups....are they trying to sell you software?
Did you happen to catch a name or do you have a new icon in your system tray?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Omi

Omi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:44 PM

The nature of teh pop-ups are random really, they range from, saying I've won a certain amount of money and need to give them info to get it, to download software, to trying to find sex buddies via onlone.

And no new icons are in my system tray.

#4 Master5270

Master5270

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:03 PM

Has your Homepage changed? if it did what is it? Have you checked add or remove programs for any "new" software on your computer? If there is tell us. We can help. In the mean time:

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users

* Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
* When done, select "Scan for Harmful Software".
* There are three scanning options. Choose "Perform Complete Scan" and click "Next".
* When done, a Scan Summary will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure they all have a checkmark next to them and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* Click Preferences and then click the statistics/logs tab.
* Click the dated log and press View log. A text file will appear so you can see the results.
* Select close to exit the program.
* Scan in SAFE MODE
Please download AVG Anti-Spyware to your Desktop or to your usual Download Folder.
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

* Install AVG Anti-Spyware by double clicking the installer.
* Follow the prompts. Make sure that Launch AVG Anti-Spyware is checked.
* On the main screen under Your Computer's security.
o Click on Change state next to Resident shield. It should now change to inactive.
o Click on Change state next to Automatic updates. It should now change to inactive.
o Next to Last Update, click on Update now. (You will need an active internet connection to perform this)
o Wait until you see the Update succesfull message.
* Right-click the AVG Anti-Spyware Tray Icon and uncheck Start with Windows.
* Right-click the AVG Anti-Spyware Tray Icon and select Exit. Confirm by clicking Yes.

If you are having problems with the updater, you can use this link to manually update ewido.
AVG Anti-Spyware manual updates.
Download the Full database to your Desktop or to your usual Download Folder and install it by double clicking the file. Make sure that AVG Anti-Spyware is closed before installing the update.

Close ALL open Windows / Programs / Folders. Reboot in safe mode Please start AVG Anti-Spyware and run a full scan.

* Click on Scanner on the toolbar.
* Click on the Settings tab.
o Under How to act?
+ Click on Recommended Action and choose Quarantine from the popup menu.
o Under How to scan?
+ All checkboxes should be ticked.
o Under Possibly unwanted software:
+ All checkboxes should be ticked.
o Under Reports:
+ Select Automatically generate report after every scan and uncheck Only if threats were found.
o Under What to scan?
+ Select Scan every file.
* Click on the Scan tab.
* Click on Complete System Scan to start the scan process.
* Let the program scan the machine.
* When the scan has finished, follow the instructions below.
IMPORTANT : Don't click on the "Save Scan Report" button before you did hit the "Apply all Actions" button.
o Make sure that Set all elements to: shows Quarantine (1), if not click on the link and choose Quarantine from the popup menu. (2)
o At the bottom of the window click on the Apply all Actions button. (3)

Posted Image

* When done, click the Save Scan Report button. (4)
o Click the Save Report as button.
o Save the report to your Desktop.
* Right-click the AVG Anti-Spyware Tray Icon and select Exit. Confirm by clicking Yes.

Reboot in Normal Mode.

Then
* Clean your Cache and Cookies in IE:

* Close all instances of Outlook Express and Internet Explorer
* Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > General tab
* Under Browsing History, click "Delete".
* Click "Delete Files", "Delete cookies" and "Delete history"
* Click Close below.

* Clean your Cache and Cookies in Firefox (In case you also have Firefox installed):

* Go to Tools > Options.
* Click Privacy in the menu..
* Click the Clear now button below.. A new window will popup what to clear.
* Select all and click the Clear button again.
* Click OK to close the Options window

* Clean other Temporary files + Recycle bin

* Go to start > run and type: cleanmgr and click ok.
* Let it scan your system for files to remove.
* Make sure Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, and Recycle Bin are the only things checked.
* Press OK to remove them.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:34 PM

Looking over the security programs you have used to find the malware, I suggest you post a Hijack This log. You can check your Add/Remove program list and see if there is anything you don't recognize. Google the item before attempting to uninstall to make sure it is malware.

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users