Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Same Gmail To Be Used By Two Computers On Oe6

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 captgnvr

captgnvr

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:23 PM

DEAR ALL
Have OE6 in both the computers. Use windows 2000. Email account is GMAIl. Both the computers are networked. I am unable to use the same gmail account on both the computers.
Pls suggest how to use any one one of the computer at a time to access the gmail through OE6.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:59 PM

I will share with you what I have done to receive my emails away from home\office. Create another account (I used Yahoo) and have it download to the second computer (Use YPOPs to make this possible). Have the first computer download the Gmail and then set a message rule in OE of the first computer to forward the inbox emails to the second account (in my case a Yahoo account).

Message Rules for OE

YPOPs! Provides POP3 access to Yahoo! Mail
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 captgnvr

captgnvr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:51 AM

THANK YOU ACKLAN.
I KNOW ABOUT THIS TO KEEP THE EMAIL ON THE SERVER SO THAT I CAN DOWNLOAD TWO TIMES ON THE SAME EMAIL ID FROM TWO COMPS. NO NEED TO HAVE TWO DIFFERENT ID.
WHY I DONT WANT THIS TYPE OF DOWNLOADING TWO TIMES IS--oooops i am used to caps. Ok coming to the point-- The main reason for wanting to see from two computers same email is-- I am on the ship-- so when radio room downloads - and informs mail downloaded; I should be able to see it on my cabin comp. I am almost thro with it-- First I was trying thro oe6 and now concentrating on microsoft outlook and figuring out how to shift the .pst file to a network drive and share that folder from my cabin. So if u come across better ways to do this -- i mean sharing the .pst file of one comp with the other.

once agian thnks for ur advice and let us work out something different.

brgds/captgnvr

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:30 AM

Microsoft addresses this in a knowledge base article, Personal folder files are unsupported over a LAN or over a WAN link.
There is a second method that you may be able to use. A program called FreePOPs allows Imap and webmail account to be accessed through a email client. You may be able to request a folder on a remote computer to access the emails. It, by default, uses 27.1.1.1 as the local server address, but I would think you could use the computer, IP address, you wish to access instead. If the remote computer with the emails is 192.168.1.101 just replace the default LAN IP address with it.

#5 captgnvr

captgnvr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:00 PM

D/Acklan
First of all my apologies. I did not get to see this forum as somehow lost the link and by the time I got hold of it your response not ack for four days. very sorry. I am reading all the articles in the link u hv posted and will get back again. Thnks ur response and it is nice to know that I can get hlep out here.
brgds/captgnvr

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:53 PM

Don't apologize. We are here for you not the other way around. I will look forward to your response.

#7 captgnvr

captgnvr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:02 AM

D/ACKLAN

One link after the other I kept leaping with no fruitful results. But at present trying to read max about """You can use .ost files or Microsoft Windows Terminal Services"".

I think I might find the answer to my quest to use mails stored in radio room computer to be seen from my cabin. It does say that by using .ost one can view all the folders offline. So once again I hv to start from scratch to understand what is 'windows terminal services', what is '.ost' folders and how to download and install and so on. Ummmm seems like a long way to go and let me start walking towards it.

It all started with the link you gave, Personal folder files are unsupported over a LAN or over a WAN link. So studies are in progress and will get back. In the mean time can u pls tell me how u changed """""http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019""" t

to

"""Personal folder files are unsupported over a LAN or over a WAN link"".

I also read extensively about the popfree softwr but would like to first try with this .ost folders using windows terminal services. If any links u can suggest - i will read it up and try.

with rgds/captgnvr

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:44 AM

It all started with the link you gave, Personal folder files are unsupported over a LAN or over a WAN link. So studies are in progress and will get back. In the mean time can u pls tell me how u changed """""http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019""" t

to

"""Personal folder files are unsupported over a LAN or over a WAN link"".

I also read extensively about the popfree softwr but would like to first try with this .ost folders using windows terminal services. If any links u can suggest - i will read it up and try.

with rgds/captgnvr

Hello Captain.
I am not sure what you mean by ".. how u changed""""""http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019'''' t".
I prefer OE myself but in your situation, why would you not want to read it with WebMail?

#9 captgnvr

captgnvr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:01 PM

Gd day Acklan

In one of your post u sent me the below line:

Microsoft addresses this in a knowledge base article, Personal folder files are unsupported over a LAN or over a WAN link.

But when i clicked, it opened a http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019. so I wanted to know how it is to be done like u sent me the -----personal folder files are unspported..... wan link---. which had a link to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019.

Now I am going to read about web mail as I am not aware of it.

Used OE and so I thought use the same so that radio room mails can be seen from my cabin.

wrgds/captgnvr

#10 captgnvr

captgnvr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:40 PM

D/ACKLAN

I further checked and found that web mail is of no use to me bcos, various folders of OE are arranged based on the departments, activities and so on. So only OE will be my need to use to see from radio room and my cabin. Further the internet access will b only from radio room and in any case I cant access it from my cabin.

So it is going to be thro .pst thro network or thro .ost thro microsft exchange. Which one depends on how fast I read, figure out and try.
wrgds/captgnvr

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:09 PM

One more option is VNC. It is slow but very effective and it leaves all of the emails of the source computer.

#12 captgnvr

captgnvr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 11:54 AM

D/ACKLAN

It has been a waste time in the end after all. I went thro all the articles and decided to try thro oe2000 as that is what i have on the ship and my company does not have the latest oe for their ships. So what has happened finally when i did as per the threads i picked-- i am saddled with this error PSTPRX.DLL error. Again read and read and unfortunately not many deal about oe 2000. Now i must muster courage to go into the registry and do some changes i believe. contemplating to do or not.

for ur post to see VNC, i replied but did not see the post at all. This vnc is for checking the comp on internet and not for in the same apartment or so like one in second floor and the other in third floor networked.

So i might go back and try ms outlook and change the folder to network drive and try.

Due to hectic ship work, i could not finish reading it fast and taken some time to get back to u n sorry.

wbrgds/capt gn venkat rajaram

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2007 - 12:52 PM

Captain, I am sorry the solutions I posed did not work. I will keep you in mind and hopefully have something for you in a few days.

I wish you good weather.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users