Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Another Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:41 PM

While extracting .rar files this morning my hard drive became full :huh: . It only had 36kb remaining out of 71gb.... So I went through and deleted some old stuff I didn't need and am back up to 13gb. My problem is now, I know I'll eventually be getting more games, music, etc, and I want to keep the rest of the stuff still on my hard drive.

I know I want to build a new computer within the next year, and I was also thinking that I could buy a new hard drive now then put it into a new computer eventually. My one problem is that this computer uses ATA100 right now, and I know newer drives use Sata. So what could I do? I want to make my next computer future proof, but I need to use old technology now. One of my ideas was to go with an external hard drive, but those are a bit expensive looking. Also, I was thinking maybe getting a 250gb 7200rpm, preferably with 8m cache (does that make a difference in performance then 2m cache?). So should I just get another ATA100 drive and eventually put it into a new system that has support for sata? Would that work real well?

I remember getting this computer about 2 years ago and thinking, "Wow 80gb is a lot, I'll never fill this!" Man was I wrong :thumbsup: .

Thanks for reading this post!

Edited by Sterling14, 27 July 2007 - 01:42 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:13 PM

I would go the external route, probably easier in the long run. plus, your storage needs always fill up your available space, no matter how large your drive[s] are. :thumbsup:

More cache is always better.

If you get an ata hdd, you might need to purchase an ata controller card for the new machine.

Edited by oldf@rt, 27 July 2007 - 04:13 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:14 PM

The larger the cache the fewer read/writes the drive needs to perform which takes time. Depending on the drive there won't be a noticeable difference between ATA/133 and SATA I however there is a difference between the SATA II which transfers data at up to 300 MB a second. Your stuck between a rock and a hard place The ATA/133 drive will work in the new computer provided it has an available IDE connection but it won't be the fastest available. They do make SATA external cases that connect to the computer through USB 2.0 a quick search found This.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 thekingof7

thekingof7

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:50 PM

You could hit up the newegg.com and get a PCI SATA controller, the cheaper ones are like 15-20$.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:20 PM

I would buy a good dvd burner and transfer to that, dvd's are so cheap

ide is being phased out and that dvd burner would move to a newer computer with no waste
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:26 PM

Thanks for the replies! I was looking at these: Hard Drive

Enclosure

Time to save up my pennies :thumbsup:
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:57 PM

do you have usb2?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:16 PM

I think.

Actually now, I'm looking into an ide to sata converter adapter. My friend has an extra molex (4 pin power) to sata power cable I could bum off him. If someone could help me find something of the sort, for real cheap, I'd appreciate it.

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:54 PM

You could hit up the newegg.com and get a PCI SATA controller, the cheaper ones are like 15-20$.

Learn something new everyday, I am a noob when it comes to SATA didn't even know those existed
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:41 PM

I needed some of those adapters, I bought three from ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/SATA-POWER-CABLE-4-Pin...1QQcmdZViewItem

even though the guy is in canada, they only took a week to get to me.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#11 thekingof7

thekingof7

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:22 AM

lol, Sneaky we learn something everyday. I'm new to these forums, and I'm to fixing xbox mod problems at afterdawn.com, its nice to finally talk about standard computer problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users