Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Are These Update Files For In Spybot S&d?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:56 AM

I've never updated these things in Spybot, as I've never been able to find out what they are:

English target descriptions file
Updated English language file
Updated startup entry descriptions

Anybody know? Thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:04 AM

This is from the safer-networking site in the FAQ section....

What files do I need to update
Basically there are three kinds of updates. I will start from the back:

* 1. the PGP signatures. If you don't have PGP installed, you don't need these files, as there are only an optional feature for PGP users.
* 2. the localized updates: language files and localized product information. These files are also not necessary if you use the english language, and if you use any other language, you only need your local ones.
* 3. all other files are either plugin updates (like the tempfile plugin) or include files. Both kinds are needed.

Regarding updates of kind 1 and 2: These updates are by default not displayed. Under "Settings" you will find an option to activate them.

Edited by jwinathome, 27 July 2007 - 10:04 AM.

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:23 AM

Hi, there. I appreciate the post! I did see that information you posted in the integrated Help as well, but it doesn't quite answer my question.

I guess it needs to be determined if the update files in question are either "language files and localized product information" or "plugin updates (like the tempfile plugin) or include files". They do not have "!" (exclamation points) next to them, so I've never updated them. And some of them are quite old (dated from 2005 or 2006).

So I still need to find out if these updates are supposed to be applied, and I'd also like to know what they are exactly.

Anybody know? Thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:29 AM

I couldn't find any good description of them specifically, but they are not critical updates. Then again, it wouldn't hurt to update them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users