Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing up computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 trickydick

trickydick

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 29 January 2005 - 01:38 AM

I have WinXP with recovery disk only, so ntbackup not an option. I fear my windows might be dying so I want to back-up all info on computer (programs, files, documents, settings etc, the whole enchilada) and re-install windows from scratch. If I use NERO it gets confusing, not sure if i can re-install windows and then restore data or if reinstalls windows from backup disk.

Should I use nero or is there a better alternative?

Thanks for your help,
Tricky

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 29 January 2005 - 02:40 AM

Hey td. If you are going to do a complete backup you will want to get a package that is made for that. Nero really isn't a backup software applicaiton.

There are many good commercial apps out there the most well-know being Ghost from Symantec. But, as I always say, free is good. If you do a google search for free backup software you will find alot of apps too. One of my favorites is SimplySafe Backup. The free edition has many features that even many commercial apps do not and you can backup to drive, tape, network drive and even cd/cdrw/dvd. Check it out here:

http://www.simplysafebackup.com/new_index....age=details.htm

This is what I use and have never had any problems.

Cheers.

OT :thumbsup:
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#3 trickydick

trickydick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2005 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for the tip.
If I use that app to backup my whole drive, when I restore it will it take the windows from backup disk or will it just restore my programs? Sorry for the questions, but if I want to back up everything except windows is it enough to not check off windows folder or is there more somewhere else?

Thanks for your time and advice,
Trickybleep

Why does my name show up as trickybleep? Are the censors out today?First time this happens

Edited by trickydick, 29 January 2005 - 01:23 PM.

#4 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 30 January 2005 - 10:55 AM

Hey td. I had that with your name in my first post and decided something here didn't appreciate it. Anyway, back to your backup. You don't have to backup the windows folder but if you do not you cannot just copy the Program Files directory to a new drive and have the programs work. Most windows apps create multiple registry entries and possibly put system files in the windows directory and its subdirectories and will not function without these. If all you're trying to do is save the files then it's ok.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#5 trickydick

trickydick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2005 - 11:55 AM

My windows is acting up, things disappearing, and basically want to reinstall windows and keep everything else as is. Please forgive my ignorance my last time reinstalling were partials which kept the information in another folder and I could just go get what I wanted, but then deleting the old copies made other problems and I finally sorted that out. So what I want to do now is reinstall windows completely but then be able to just insert CDs with all my information and be right back to where I am but with a fresh windows.

Is this doable?
Tricky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users