Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Depends On What......

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:42 AM

Decreasing your download time could be accomplished by a switch to cable from DSL...That seems simple enough.

Faster burning time...Depends on the burner...? Mine is 740b...??? How does that stack up. I think it tries to record at 16 or 24....

Now....RAM and the CPU

Copying..or moving folders(within folders..ect.) Is that a function of the CPU..?

In Task Mgr., if you were to get a better CPU, would the CPU Usage drop for certain tasks...?

If you try to copy or move files while downloading....Is that a function of the RAM...??

Also..If you are letting a scan proceed and then do whatever else...Wouldn't that depend on the RAM...?

More aptly put....If you want to increase performance in certain areas, what component do you upgrade.....or keep in mind when purchasing a new computer....? Always like to be a "smart shopper".

Edited by 1Bart, 27 July 2007 - 07:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:09 AM

Increasing download speed you do by increasing you bandwidth. Which technology delivers this bandwidth doesn't really matter. A 1MB cable connections is just as fast as a 1MB DSL connection.

Burning speed depends on the speed of the CD/DVD burner, i.e. 16x or 24x or so.

Copying files hasn't really got anything to do with either CPU or RAM, but on the speed of the hard-drive.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:19 AM

AMD Sempron 3500+ 1.99GHz 994MHz
Is this what your mean by the speed of the drive...?

Yeah...I understood that about the internet providers..I should have made it more specific...

TY though....

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:25 AM

Maxtor Internal Hard Drive SATA, 7200rpm, 200GB, 8MB Cache

The bold bit is the speed of the drive.

The AMD Sempron 3500+ is a CPU.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:28 AM

You would have thought THAT would be obvious....But, ya learn something new everyday......

TY

#6 PC GEEK

PC GEEK

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:47 AM

the biggest thing to remember is to NOT screw yourself over! ...don't get something with one good part (like the CPU) and then leave everthing else just 'ok' ...because it will 'bottleneck' your performance and you'll be sitting there wondering why the thing is still slow as back in the day when your grandpa walked up hill to school both ways!!

#7 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:00 AM

lol LOL

Point well taken...and understood.

Don't let the feet run faster than the body...It all has to work as a unit....Type thing...

TY

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:55 AM

On the Cable Vs DSL, I have always heard that while peak speeds of the DSL can match that of cable the cable has more of a constant speed then the DSL. Is this true?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 Sixstringartist

Sixstringartist

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:32 AM

As PC GEEK hinted at, a lot of hardware works together so there is no one component that will determine the speed of file copying for example. This involves the CPU making decisions and reading from the hard drive, temporarily storing that in main memory, and writing back to the hard drive. All of the communication between these components is handled by the motherboard so you see, there is a lot involved. In fact that is a very rough example as there is a lot more going on than that, but it gives you the idea.

As Mr. Alpha stated, any I/O operation like reading from a hard drive is going to be the source of a lot of latency. While a read from main memory may take a mircosecond, a common latency for hard drives is around 13ms or 1300 microseconds which is eons in computing. So applications that require heavy hard drive usage (such as loading levels in computer games) will be greatly effected by a very fast hard drive or a raid setup.

Edited by Sixstringartist, 27 July 2007 - 11:39 AM.

#10 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:53 AM

Thanks Six...

Certainly MY limited "expertise" along these lines certainly precludes me from properly matching components.

It would be nice if we could rely on the manufactures to accurately make these decisions.

It seems like, personal preferrence i. e. which ONE component to "boost" preformance, might be more involved than 1st thought.

But knowing which hardware does what function is a plus though.....

TY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users