Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg Removed Svchost?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mikos

mikos

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:16 AM

I am looking at a friends laptop to help clean it up, and I find that his old Symantec AV was 3 years out of date. I DL and run AVGFree, fully updated, and it finds a whole bunch of "sheur.afj" trojans. If you google this, you will find that it has been found to be a false positive (see below).

"Intuit has been working with AVG and determined that this was a false
alarm by the AVG tool.

Please update your AVG tool with the latest virus base (at least
269.10.5.899). If files were moved to AVG Virus Vault, you can
restore them.

If you need to restore deleted files from AVG Virus Vault you can do
it this way: open AVG Virus Vault (Start -> Programs -> AVG Antivirus -
> AVG Virus Vault).

Locate the file that was removed, right click on it and choose
"Restore File(s)" option.

Unfortunately, false alarms do appear from time to time in every Anti-
Virus software.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Jon
Intuit Inc. "

I was pretty sure that I had told avg not to delete (or move to the vault) these files, but perhaps I missed one... like the svchost.exe? I cannot log into windows normally or in safe mode. It gets to the loading screen, loads for a bit, and then bluescreen-restarts.

(Am running win2k)

Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:13 AM

Run SFC.exe and see if it repairs the missing or corrupted Window's files.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 mikos

mikos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:31 AM

It isn't helpful that the laptop lacks a floppy drive and a working optical drive. Will USB pen drives be recognised in DOS? That said, I will need some kind of boot disc anyways (and I am only aware of how to boot from FD, CD or HDD, not anything else).

To make things less complicated :thumbsup: I am on holiday in Turkiye at the moment, so I suspect that my best bet is to get a hold of a usb floppy/optical drive (somehow?) and try and run a repair with SFC or the win2k install CD?

Edited by mikos, 02 August 2007 - 05:35 AM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:42 AM

Hmm.. :thumbsup:

Could you give the Make, model and any add ons or defect in the computer (Lack of, or broken, hardware)?

#5 mikos

mikos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:23 AM

A trusty (or not so) old Toshiba Satellite 3000. It has a bay at the front so that you can either have an optical drive, or a fdd - no idea where the fdd has gotten off to alas. Everything else works just fine (apart from the OS, now, as it were).

Is it easy enough to boot to a floppy through a usb fdd? thanks for your help so far acklan. We have managed to convince my friend to buy a new laptop, which I guess that will take a few weeks or months before that happens. At the very least he has a significant amount of work sitting on this one which needs to be copied across. Of course, it would be ideal to get it up and running so that he can keep using it for work in the meanwhile.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:55 AM

Do you have a USB floppy? Have you looked in the BIOS to see if the USB is an option for that BIOS? If not here is an option that will make the computer far more user friendly.

NOTE: This is an example. Please look around. I am just offering options.
Toshiba Satellite 3000 Modular Bay DVD-ROM/CD-RW PA3104U-1CD2 NEW

Toshiba Satellite 3000-X4 - C 933 MHz - 14.1" TFT (Could not find Toshiba's Spec Sheet)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users