Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected Plz Help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 sarah.jennifer

sarah.jennifer

• Banned
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:10 AM

I was infected with either a virus or spyware earlier today. I was able to use system restore to get to where I am functioning again but I do not believe all is well. I ran adaware, Norton and spybot. Spybot had some artifacts that it could not remove. Norton found two entries. I have yet to reboot for fear that the malware will reappear. I need desperate help. Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:06 AM

SuperAntiSpyware has an excellent reputation for removing stubborn infestations, and in fact there's been some discussion recently about this, which you might like to see here:
http://forums.superantispyware.com/viewtopic.php?t=808

I'm not an expert myself, but the poster of that story, robinb9, has a great deal of experience and rates SuperAntispyware very highly. I've been using it quite a while myself, and it is the first thing I would try, if I were in your position. (That doesn't make this necessarily the best advice you'll get, but it is what I would try, myself.)

You can download it here:
http://www.superantispyware.com/ (choose the free version for home users)

An alternative would be to reboot into safe mode (tap the F8 key about twice a second once the text appears onscreen at the beginning of the reboot) and run your scans again, but this time in safe mode. However, I'd try SAS before doing anything else.

Edited by Alan D, 27 July 2007 - 06:14 AM.

Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:13 AM

Perhaps better direction could be given if you could give the names/file locations of the malware.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 sarah.jennifer

sarah.jennifer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:22 AM

My Internet Explorer has been hijacked (i.e. my browser web page cannot be changed from a site that I don't want). What can I do?

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:09 AM

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below if the programs above have not removed ALL malware. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:35 PM

My Internet Explorer has been hijacked (i.e. my browser web page cannot be changed from a site that I don't want). What can I do?

What is the page you are being redirected to ?
Knowing this will help us to help you.

BBPP6nz.png

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:59 PM

Don't know if your aware but Norton Anti-virus has a feature which will lock your Home Page. As such, you may want to check and make sure it is not responsible for keeping you from changing it if your no longer finding any malware.

Launch Norton anti-virus, go to Options > Anti-virus Options > Home page Protection and uncheck "Block all attempts to change my homepage."

Open Internet Explorer and go to what site you want for your home page.
Click Tools > Internet > and then under the General tab, click "Use Current" to set your home page, then click Apply.

Reopen Norton and place a check beside "Block all attempts to change my homepage."
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 sarah.jennifer

sarah.jennifer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:48 AM

I got this Trojan Virus from a 'Noble Poker' program I havnt used in years. My Norton Anti-Virus and XsoftSpySE wont get rid of it. Is there anyone out there that can help me remove it before my computer crashes?

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:25 PM

Can you tell us what the name of the trojan is?
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:29 PM

Have you tried doing your scans in "SAFE MODE"?

You can also download and scan with Dr.Web CureIt. Follow the instructions here for performing a scan in "safe mode".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:51 AM

Hi sarah.jennifer,

>>>>>>>>Moderator Override<<<<<<<<<<

You have posted three times in this forum and have never given anyone any feedback to advice given. Have you followed any advice given here? I have also noticed that you have posted identical posts to two other forums. That wastes time for everyone trying to help you. Please choose which forum team you wish to be helped by and stick with that team. I will be notifying the other forums as to what is being said here.

Please PM me with your wishes - until then, this "merged" topic is closed.

rigel
BleepingComputer Forums Moderator

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users