Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is "web Hosting"?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kat

Kat

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:28 AM

A regular correspondent has recently had her emails to me (her ISP is Hughes.net)bounce back as undeliverable. Then another hughes subscriber had his email to me bounce back. Juno, my ISP, tells me that mail from the IP had triggered the limits imposed by Juno's spam-filters and was consequently blocked. As far as I can figure out, the IP address is assigned to Network Solutions and not individually to either of the people who experienced the bounce-back. Is Network Solutions in the business of web hosting.... I'm not even sure what "web hosting" means so must display my ignorance here and ask if Network Solutions could possibly be web hosts for hughes.net. An in-the-know friend says that maybe a lot of spam has recently been generated by hughes subscribers and that is why Juno blocked it from coming in to me. (The block on my correspondents' e-mail was just lifted, BTW). Could someone please explain if and how the web host fits into this scenario and if my in-the-know friend's theory makes sense? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:59 AM

Hi Kat,

Wiki definition of Web Hosting.

Have either of the people with Hughes done any troubleshooting with their service techs or discussed this "theory" with them?
(BTW, I also use Hughes.net satellite internet and have never experienced anything like this.)
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Kat

Kat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:23 AM

Thanks, TMack,

Is it possible to find out if Network Solutions hosts Hughes? My correspondents on the Hughes side of this story have not contacted Hughes...they are convinced its on the Juno side. I am interested in sleuthing this a little further and am learning quite a lot along the way.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:13 AM

From what I've read, Hughes has nothing to do with Network Solutions.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 Kat

Kat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:51 PM

Turns out the IP address that was blocked by Juno belongs to tucows.com. How they are linked with Hughes or Juno, who knows.

I also noticed (and I've only checked two times, both today) that my own IP address changed between the first check and the second. Could you explain to me how this works? :thumbsup:

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:37 PM

tucows.com is on my white list in NoScript and is listed by NS when on the Hughes site.

If you are curious and use Firefox, check your Cookies to see if tucows is listed.

Can't help you with question #2.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users