Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Hi-speed Usb

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:09 PM

Old Compaq laptop. On the HP site there is no USB2 driver.
Every time I put a USB flash to copy/write files, Windows XP says that I can be running it faster. In BIOS, old, legacy USB is disabled. I have no idea what the driver name is supposed to be. In device manager I see no error indicator and don't really know how it should all look. Can someone help, please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:27 AM

I think you'll find that the flash drive is USB-2 and you only have USB-1 ports on the old computer. Windows is merely telling you that it would be faster using USB-2.
Will still work on USB-1, just slower. You can't have USB-2 if the computer isn't designed for it.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#3 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:27 AM

You can get PCI USB-2 if you want to use USB-2. Correct me if I'm wrong, my memory is failing me.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:32 AM

Thanks you both. I understand. Yes, flash is usb2.
I failed to mention one important thing. When this laptop was Windows 2000 hi-speed (usb2) worked just fine, or more specifically, no complaints from the computer. So I assume the hardware is there. Since the installation of XP it's the slow usb. And yes, I know it works fine, and the speed is sufficient, what takes time is having to see the message and click :thumbsup:

#5 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:55 AM

Take a look at this on how to identify if your computer support USB2.

#6 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:15 PM

You said it's an "old" laptop. Perhaps it's running XP original or SP1. Nikas's link page has another link to an XP USB update for SP1. First, check your laptop and see whether it is running SP2. If it is not, I strongly suggest installing SP2 instead of that specific USB update, especially since it contains very many security fixes as well as the USB updates built into it. The SP2 installer file is huge (266 MBytes) and will obviously take a good while to download. The installer will take upwards of half an hour to complete, but it's worth it. After that enable Automatic Updates and allow all the additional (75+) updates that have been issued since SP2.

SP2 download from MS:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

To see what version of XP is running press and hold down the "Windows logo" key and then tap the Pause key. The version will be stated near the bottom of the popup window.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users