Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost my 128-bit Encryption Pack

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 2harts4ever

2harts4ever

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 28 January 2005 - 09:18 PM

Hi,

Well, this aging 'computer whiz' has done it again. I have put one foot securely in a hole and I am doing my utmost to jump in head first...lol

Here is the scoop. I installed IE 5.5, Sp#1 over IE 5.01, Sp#1 about a month ago. Since then I have had the occassion to run The IE repair twice. Both times the repair seemed to go smoothly until it was time to reboot to finish the repair. Each time I rebooted Windows kept presenting the 'Personalized Settings' window one after another until I had 7 or 8 of them minimized in my startup tray. Finally I just had to shut down the computer to get it to stop.

And, before you ask, now I can't even remember what the problem was that caused me to try running the repair. It was an error message dealing with IE, but for the life of me I can't recall anything about it.

Now for my current problem.

Last night I got this brilliant (lol) idea to just reinstall IE 5.5, Sp#1 off my IntelliMouse Optical 4.0 CD which is what I used about a month ago when I installed it over 5.01.

Well, now since I did this, I can no longer access any of my secure sites. After going to the 'About Internet Explorer' listed under 'Help' I discovered I had lost my High Encryption Pack Setting (128-bit) somewhere in this whole mess. All that is now listed after 'Cipher Strength' is '0'-bit where it used to say 128-bit.

I had been accessing my secure sites right up to before I did the reinstall last night. But, ever since I did it, I am unable to connect to any of them.

And, in the 'for what its worth' department, I just went into my 'Windows Update Setup Files' and found a file called 'Ie501dom.exe' and executed it, but after it supposedly installed the 128-bit encryption pack I rebooted as directed but still had no 128-bit.

I also read on a Microsoft site where I could rename the three files (1) Schannel.dll, (2) Rsabase.dll and (3) Rsaenh.dll in C:\Windows\System to 'old' and then reinstall IE but when I went to try it I got a message saying that two of the three files were in use by Windows.

Any ideas or will I be forced to revert to the IE 4.0 that came with the computer and work my way up again?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever :flowers: :thumbsup:
" ... Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I'm Smiling Too!"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 30 January 2005 - 12:19 AM

What OS are you running?

#3 2harts4ever

2harts4ever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2005 - 05:21 AM

Morning Grinler,

Thanks for posting back. I am using Win95a on an aging Packard Bell 4610, Pentium, 120 MHz/128 RAM.

It looks like the missing 128-bit Encryption Pack mystery has been solved. :flowers:

To make a long story short I went to Add/Remove Programs last night and reverted back to IE 4.0. Then I reinstalled IE 5.5, Sp#1 from a folder I had on my desktop and this finally restored and enabled my 128-bit Encryption Pack. I can once again access my secure sites.

Now, my only problem is I also got rid of Outlook Express 5 in the process leaving me with the earlier 4.72.3110.5 version. :inlove:

I can't find OLE5 anywhere on the CD I used to install IE 5.5 to my desktop and I think the OLE 5 I had been using came with the IE 5.01 version I had previously been running before IE 5.5.

Thanks and regard,

2harts4ever :trumpet: :thumbsup:

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 30 January 2005 - 05:50 AM

Outlook Express is bundled with Internet Explororer so your stuck with the version of OE that you have unless you update Internet Explorer

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 2harts4ever

2harts4ever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:58 PM

Hi everyone,

The OLE 5 version is now up and running once again on my 'puter. I finally convinced the Add a Component option in the Add/Remove Programs for IE to give me a 'customized install'. Clicked on OLE 5 and I am now back to normal.

For one reason or another the Add a Component option previously had only given me the option for a 'minimal' install so I had no way to get to OLE 5. Once the 'custom' option finally appeared I was off to the races.

Regardless, the problem is solved and I thank everyone for their imput.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever :flowers: :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users