Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Error At Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:04 PM

Hello
I found that my brand new Gateway FX530 computer with Vista and 4 gig of ram would not restart. It would hang up and I would have to hit the power button numerous times before it actually kicked on. During one of the attempts to start an error popped up stating "Firmware detected system memory has decreased". On another try the error went on to state " channel memory in channel A is not equal to amount of memory in channel B " I have 4 banks of 1024 memory installed

Thanks
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:24 PM

32 bit versions of XP and Vista won't recognize 4 gB of RAM. While I haven't heard of this happening in the BIOS, it is possible. On my system (with an MSI mobo) I've got 4 gB that works just fine (but is only recognized as 3.25 gB).

Try removing 2 of the sticks to see if it'll boot. Then swap the sticks to see if the other 2 will boot. If both boot, then there's an issue in the BIOS that won't let you use 4 gB of RAM. You might check the Gateway site to see if there's a BIOS update that will take care of this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for the reply
The computer was built to handle the 4 gig of ram even though as you said it actually only uses 3+ of it. I will try switching out the memory tomorrow. Are you thinking a bad memory stick or something else??
With the dual core setup is there a way to check if the memory is being evenly distributed? (not that I really know what I'm talking about ~ a little over my head)

Thanks again
Tom

#4 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:20 PM

I ran Vista's built in memory tester which came back clean. Also checked the bios and it showed all 4 sticks of ram

Core Multiplexing Tech ENABLE
L2 Cache Ram 4096 KM
Total Memory 4096 MB
Memory Mode Duel channel

Memory channel
A slot 0 1024 MB
A slot 1 1024 MB
B slot 0 1024 MB
B slot 1 1024 MB

When I set the test to begin on a restart this popped up

Posted Image

Maybe JUST a restart problem??

Thanks
Tom

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:47 AM

Since it's a memory problem, and the memory test came back OK - I'd have to assume that the issue is with your BIOS. A search of the Gateway site reveals a couple of BIOS updates that are very new. I was not able to find out what the updates "fixed" - but in your case I'd suspect that a BIOS update is in the cards. Be very, very careful with the BIOS update as it can hose your motherboard!

Here's the link: http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...fx530&st=kw
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:59 AM

did you add the extra 2 gigs? or did gateway?

Edited by DaChew, 27 July 2007 - 06:02 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:56 AM

Gateway just emailed me a "Startup repair" response. I'll let you know how it goes

The computer is brand new with 4 gig of ram installed from factory

Thanks for the replies
Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users