Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In Both Ie And Netscape, Some Pages Will Load, Some Won't


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JEDIDIAH

JEDIDIAH

  • Members
  • 22 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:30 PM

Windows XP
IE 6.0
Netscape 8.0

I have tried websites such as microsoft.com, msn.com, ebay.com, etc. in both browsers. Some will work, others won't. For example, I can access the lavasoft website for the Adaware download, but can't access the download page. For IE, it says, "The page cannot be displayed; the page you are looking for might have been removed or had its name changed." For Netscape it says "Action canceled; Internet Explorer was unable to link to the web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable." Also, sometimes a site works in one browser but not the other. Bleepingcomputer.com works in Netscape, but not IE.

I'm sure there is a simple solution but after scouring the net for hours I cannot seem to find it. One other thing to note is that I recently removed Spydawn using the tools recommended on this site, and tried to use all of the recommendations in the "Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log," however, I couldn't get to the downloads such as Adaware and Bit Defender due to this problem.

Your help is appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 TMacK

TMacK

  • Members
  • 4,672 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:B.C. Canada
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:25 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer JEDIDIAH. :thumbsup:

The first thing to do when IE is misbehaving is empty the cache.

Click Tools, then Internet Options, and then click the Delete Files button.
A Delete Files window will appear. Select the option to Delete all offline content, and then click OK.
Click Settings and reduce the size of your cache to, about 50 to 100 MB (more if you routinely download very large files).
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 JEDIDIAH

JEDIDIAH
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 22 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:46 AM

Thank you so much for your reply, TMack.

I have emptied both the TIF's and the cookies several times. Here's a little bit of an update: I've found a way to dl adaware and have ran that scan. I've used the Smitfraudfix I found in these forums, but Spybot is still showing a Smitfraud C problem. I'll select to fix and then rerun the scan and it shows up again. Also, I've added Firefox, which thus far has given me no problems browsing. I'm starting to think this is still a viral problem and not a settings problem. I will try the smitfraudfix again and see if that does anything. Still a work in progress...




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users