Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Hanging At Boot. No Recourse Would Not Safe Mode. Reformat, Reinstall.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FuchsiaIce

FuchsiaIce

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:20 PM

I really hope this is the right Forum. Apologies if it is not. All right, here goes. Y'all have really helped me in the past, so I'm coming here after exhausting everything I can think of.

The problem was on my son's Dell Inspiron 1100 running Windows XP Home w/SP2. Recently, it would not boot to the operating system, would just hang at the WinXP boot screen. Apparently, unbeknownst to me and therefore I don't have the error message, it gave him an error message right before this happened but I was never able to get anything to come up (found out he wasn't running the security measures I'd installed, so who the hell knows what happened! Grr!). I tried Repair, Safe Mode, everything. No go. Finally, as a last resort I did a reformat and reinstall of the OS from the CD (I had no choice, it would not let me do anything but that).

Obviously, I lost all. And, thanks to Dell not including a Drivers and Utilities CD along with his computer or mine (Dell Inspiron 1150), which, of course, I did not think to call Dell about until one was needed and both comps were out of warranty thus negating them EVER sending me one, nothing worked after the reformat/reinstall! (Luckily the DVD/CDRW drive did, though.)

I got some things up by tranferring by disc from my computer to his, but wanted to do the major work of driver installation by connecting to the internet through his computer and just d/l'ing to his hard drive. Problem is, I can't get his computer to connect. And, I'm sure I haven't a clue as to all the drivers I'm going to need as I've never done a clean reinstall on a Windows machine.

We're on a cable modem (Cox) with wireless connect through a Linksys router and wireless card (his computer, mine came with a wireless card). I've put in the CD that came with the card and the router and did what it said, got some things from that. Put in the CD for the cable modem and the same thing there. Still cannot connect to the internet.

Please tell me I'm an idiot and I'm missing some simple vital step here. I can handle being stupid. ::Grins.:: I just cannot handle this frustration.
Fuchsia Ice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:25 PM

You are most certainly not an idiot....

You need to install at least the Network Adapter driver....found below...

Click here

The one that says Dell - Driver
Applies to:
_Wireless (US) WLAN Card

Edited by jwinathome, 26 July 2007 - 02:25 PM.

#3 FuchsiaIce

FuchsiaIce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:39 PM

I could kiss you!!!

:flowers: :thumbsup: :trumpet:

Thank you soooo much!! The computer is up and connected to the internet. Frustration level is now at minimum. Again, thank you so much.
Fuchsia Ice

#4 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:38 PM

Hello Fuscia! How is New Orleans? I have family there, and so I like to keep up with things. I hope you are OK after the storm. It was a shameful disaster, but the good people of New Orleans really picked themselves up. Good for you!

I just came across a website showing two dangerous elements built into Win XP. Here's a quote from http://www.grc.com/unpnp/unpnp.htm :

Consequently, the most troubling aspect of this issue is that the POTENTIAL for this insecurity was intentionally and needlessly designed into Windows XP from the start. ALMOST NO ONE uses or needs to have Universal Plug and Play enabled today. Yet every copy of Windows XP sold has it enabled and running by default. ...The last time Microsoft did this, the server was called "File and Printer Sharing". The insecurity of that decision has caused untold customer damage through the years and it still causes serious problems.

This is just a FYI, I have disconnected them and it's caused me no problems: my external drive is still there. It's possible that your youngster is visiting those kid websites that come with predators. So anything we can do to protect ourselves is needed.

Also, I had found a program to backup drivers from http://www.jermar.com/, and I keep the files on my desktop. But I visited the site today and do not see it. (it was a freebie).

Losing your e-mail is going to be a drag. You might want to export your address book and favorites from Outlook Express. I'm telling you all these things because I have had to reload my O/S SIX TIMES in one year. I've lost lots of data. Files kept getting corrupted. I think I'm okay now, but one last recommendation: all the backup software I've used has turned out to be useless, because they put a "restore point" on the hard drive, and of course when you reinstall the O/S (and wipe the drive) you lose the restore point. So I have a book full of disks I cannot restore. I do think Nero might have worked, because one of my backups (I copied them all to the desktop; probably not good form) keeps restoring its files and I keep getting a slew of duplicate e-mails. I also bought a backup service from Verizon (my ISP) and the problem there is they lose the "date saved", overwriting it to the date saved on their server. Bottom line is to just make your own backup copies to a r/w disk, so you can save your important files.

I hope this helped. Jwinathome, great save on your recommendation.

Best wishes, "Where y'at?" :thumbsup:
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users