Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fatal Crashes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:28 PM

About 2 months ago, wasn't exactly around for it to happen, but my mom said CPU failure or something and she had to revert to the backup, wich we did and lost everything, everything's been fine since then. Yesterday I go to boot up my computer. It goes though the bios, gets to the boot-up screen, then just restarts the process. Tried chaning the boot order, tried safe mode, tried reverting to the backup, put in an old 14GB 98-SE HD to try and grab some files off my HD, nothing. Took it to bestbuy ( They only charged 44$, and they did fix it, so I don't feel ripped. Lost everything again though. ) He said the backup was currupted, so he inspected my hardware ( Compaq SR1750NX, but with a Ultra 600W PSU, and Sapphire X1950 PRO ) Found everything good hardware wise, gave us a backup DVD, it worked and got every running blah blah blah. A couple days before the crash it had been giving my white blank screen when I go to wake up my computer from hibernation or screensaver. And today it's doing it. Makes me think it's the video card, but it getting well enough power, and it only heats up to around 48C ( I'm pretty sure for an ATi card thats good these days ) Any suggestions, oh and now when I boot up my computer it stands in the welcome screen doing nothing for 2 minutes before booting up!

Thanks in advance, I know a bit of a long post!
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:28 PM

I don't know much about this specific problem but it sounds like you need to do a disk defragment and registry cleanup.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 protozero

protozero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:11 AM

I just find it odd that I turn off my computer for the night, with everything running fine and smoothly ( I defrag the HD about once a week. ) Then boot up the next morning to find everything gone, and it's happened twice, and I had checked my registry with HJT, nothing new was in it.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users