Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Constant Crash And Hard Boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 madrian

madrian

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:51 PM

Help!

Vista is killing me! Here are the specs on my machine..

ASUS P5N-E SLI NFORCE 650I SLI MB
INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6700 2.67
2 160GB SATA-II HD in RAID 0
1 320GB SATA-II HD
CREATIVE LABS AUDIGY Sound
2 GEFORCE G8800GTS 320MB PCI in SLI
WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM 32-BIT (came with the computer)
3GB of DDR2 PC6400 MEMORY

At first things were great, but when I started installing games it all went to hell. I even tried removing all programs and reinstalling windows but it hasn't helped. Now, no matter what program I'm using (games or not) it will lock up at any random moment. Currently, the only games on the computer are Half Life 2 and Preatorian. I've also used a registry cleaner but it makes no difference.

I've read that some folks have driver problems with the 8800's nividia's so I tried downloading and installing the latest driver for Vista. It locks up during the install and now the computer only recognizes one video card.

I've rebooted so many times I think the hard-boot button is wearning out.

Any help is appreciated. I'm limited in my computer savvy, but let me know what information you need and Ill do me best to find it.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:19 PM

How to Find BSOD (Blue Screen) Error Messages

See if that will help you find an error message. That would be the start.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 madrian

madrian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:30 PM

I never actually get to the BSOD. Everything just freezes and I loose all keyboard and mouse inputs. Often, when I try to do a normal shut-down I'll get the "shutting down" screen but the computer never actually turns off. I left it for 12 hours this way the other day. It just seems that all these little glitches must have some common root that I don't know about.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:03 PM

This is most likely hardware related. The normal reason for the computer to just freeze is overheating. What do your temps look like?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 madrian

madrian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:19 PM

How do I check temps?

#6 madrian

madrian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:02 PM

I found at least part of the problem - and yes it was hardware related. I have 3 gig of ram - the original 2 512 sticks and 2 1 gb sticks. They are all 800 MHz so I thought I was coverd. However, the arrangment of the memory in two pairs II II was 512 1gb 512 1gb. I had to switch them to 1gb 512 1gb 512. I'm sure this is old news to all the techies - but it was new to me. I still have a few driver issues to resovle, but no more freeze-ups so far (or at least for the past 2 hours).

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:41 AM

I have difficulties running mismatched pairs (2-512 and 2-1gB sticks) on several of my systems. Try disabling the dual channel feature in your BIOS to see if that improves the performance and reliability.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users