Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Registry File Failure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alimike12

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:38 PM

I have a problem with my laptop and I do not have the expertise to know what to do next. I have never run a recovery disk and so am afraid if I do I will cause a meltdown. Anyway here are my laptop specs and the problem:

Toshiba Satellite M45 Series Laptop. OS: MS WIN Home (SP2)
Intel Pentium M 730 (1.6GB, 2MB L2 cache, 533Mhz FSB)
512 MB SDRAM, 100 GB hard disk (5400 RPM)

The Laptop froze up completely and I turned it off using the manual push button without using the start/turn off icons.
Every time I have since tried to turn it on it shows the WINDOWS XP screen and the little horizontal bar underneath runs the little 3-light sequence across the bar for about 2 minutes before (1) going to a blank screen or (2) C000218 Registry File Failure Registry cannot open the hive (file) \System Root\System32\Config\Software or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent or not curable. Dumped physical memory.

Opened in the Save mode. Save, <E>, Win XP Home, <E>,.
Then get a screen filled with a list of 24 lines that state:
“ \compbatt.sys
“ \pciide.sys
“ etc.
<E> doesn’t work, the laptop is completely froze up, no response, so had to shut it down manually again.

Microsoft has a web page that says:
How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting
This article describes how to recover a Windows XP system that does not start because of corruption in the registry. This procedure does not guarantee full recovery of the system to a previous state; however, you should be able to recover data when you use this procedure.
Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist previously. If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives.
You can repair a corrupted registry in Windows XP. Corrupted registry files can cause a variety of different error messages. See the Microsoft Knowledge Base for articles about error messages that are related to registry issues.
This article assumes that typical recovery methods have failed and access to the system is not available except by using Recovery Console. If an Automatic System Recovery (ASR) backup exists, it is the preferred method for recovery. Microsoft recommends that you use the ASR backup before you try the procedure described in this article.
Note Make sure to replace all five of the registry hives. If you only replace a single hive or two, this can cause potential issues because software and hardware may have settings in multiple locations in the registry.

The problem with the above is I don’t know what a typical recovery method is and I don’t know what a Recovery Console is.
Toshiba has supplied a CD “Recovery and Applications/Drivers DVD” with the machine when I bought it.
I have not recently added any applications, games or anything else. I have Ad-Aware, ZoneAlarm Plus, Webroot Spy Sweeper installed - months ago.

Any suggestions??
Thanks, Al

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HiDDeNMisT

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:38 PM

see if you can boot into safe mode also i believe that the recovery console is in the XP installation CD. when u runt he installtion of the OS look and see if u see anything. i am unable to be sure tho becuase i do not have a insallaton CD at school so try it if u wish

oh if u can boot into safe mode try running all of the anti virus and spyware scans also use a scanner that scans your regestry

Edited by HiDDeNMisT, 26 July 2007 - 01:39 PM.

#3 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:31 PM

Toshiba recovery disks are image based and can't be used as a normal XP disk. I'd suggest backing up your data by slaving the hard drive to another system, then using the recovery disks to restore your system to the factory default state.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users