Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Your Income In It Field

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gooky_*

Guest_gooky_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:00 AM

About how much are you making and how much should you be making doing what you are doing in IT? One of my past co-worker (50 year old non-minority male) once said it's very rare to find someone making 6 digit income in IT in all ages and all ethnicity male and female here in US. Would you agree with that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:21 AM

I make an outrageous six figure income working here as an adviser, unfortunately those six figures are all zeros. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:35 PM

One of my past co-worker (50 year old non-minority male) once said it's very rare to find someone making 6 digit income in IT in all ages and all ethnicity male and female here in US.

I would say that depends on where one makes that assessment from. I know that in the data-centric areas of the US such as Silicon Valley, CA, Research Triangle, NC, and others it is quite easy to garner that sort of income. Less saturated IT areas that don't need to compete maybe no so likely. Also factor in the cost of living in the area the pay scale is based on. Six figures in Hawaii or California are not the same as six figures in Iowa for example. Generalizations are hard to quantify. Also IT in what capacity? Data center manager or cable puller? Big difference. But still both considered IT jobs.

Oh and I make six figures here too, but they have the same set of zeros as dc3's :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

Verifiable Education + Experience + Market + Commitment = $USD

Though some of us are beyond your age limit of 40, some of us have garnered fair 6 digit incomes for some employment.

Work in a zone of conflict and one might get a larger payday. Be a genius - demand more.

//Aside: Unlike the Animal, dc3 and some others here, I get a cool 6 & 1/2 digit zero income from the BC.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users