Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free up System resources...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bozack23

bozack23

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:44 PM

I have an old system that had windows 98 on it. i have recently upgraded to 2000 with only 64mb of ram. my system resources are very low. verizon tech support told me my system is crashing. what can i do to help this problem other than adding more ram. or is adding ram my only option. tia

Mod Edit: This will be moved to a more appropriate Forum. Where it can receive the attention it deserves.

Edited by scarlett, 28 January 2005 - 08:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Truth Loves You

Truth Loves You

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2005 - 06:55 PM

(sticky?)

It would be wise to add more ram. This MAY provide a TEMPORARY stopgap to certain applications consuming too many resources until you receive your memory order from http://crucial.com or similarly reliable dealer.

ThreadMaster
http://threadmaster.tripod.com/

Posted Image

It's a freeware tool to throttle applications. Your OS already limits how long a given process or application may use CPU time but this further restricts the process coercing it to play well with others. This is especially useful on P3 systems attempting to run P2P applications. It deafults to 30% per application, but allows you to define your own settings. There is no shiny GUI. All changes are made to the resitry manually. If this frightens you seek another solution.

As you will note from the page mine is not the inteded use and your mileage may vary.

Default settings live here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ThreadMaster\Parameters

For each application you wish to customize create a new 'StringValue' in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ThreadMaster\Parameters\Applications

and set the value to whatever % of CPU you wish to allow (integer 1-100).

Hope this helps

//edit: see also http://www.panopsys.com/throttlewatch.php

Edited by Truth Loves You, 29 January 2005 - 06:56 PM.

#3 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 29 January 2005 - 07:50 PM

Go back to Windows 98. For a computer with limit resources, this is still a good OS to use. For Pentium II and below this is still a good option.

Joshuacat
JC

#4 skaines

skaines

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2005 - 12:26 AM

windows 2000 has a minimum system requirement of 64mb of RAM, this is just to run windows itself, let alone any other programs, if you are using a Virus scanner as well you will most likelly be going to be using Virtual Memory.

Virtual memory (also known as Swap file) is using designated space on the hard disk as RAM which is a lot slower. for windows 2000 i would recomend 128mb of RAM at minimum because of the fact that you will be using other programs other than windows. im using about 200MB just having firefox open with Antivirus and antispyware software running, i am running windows XP though.

Your machine will most likely be using a lot of virtual memory and the computer is probably locking up because of it, to see how much memory you are using press CTRL+ALT+DEL and goto the performance tab, in the PF usage graph minus 64 to find out how much Virtual memory you are using.

another way to tell if you are going into virtual memory is that if the hard drive is constantly thrashing.

Sorry about the grammer, i was not good at english at school

#5 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 02 February 2005 - 01:45 AM

Do you now what mother board you have ?

If you can find this out go to the manufactures site and see how much ram it supports then fill it up with the max amount of RAM. That will increse the speed of the machine overall and also the crashing or freezing problem too. 64meg is nowhere near enough, W2K alone needs all of that.

Edited by JackTheHaack, 02 February 2005 - 01:47 AM.

JTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users